CPU heatsink

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I was cleaning out my cpu heatsink and one of the four small wires that are soldered(?) into it accidentally ripped off, so now it doesn't work. My computer parts are from 2009, so I don't think they even have this heatsink anymore, it's a stock intel. So I'm thinking I need to buy an aftermarket one. I wouldn't like to spend a lot of money on this, I'm planning on building a new computer within the next year. Do you have any recommendations on what to do or buy?

Here is the cpu:
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.66 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601920 Processor - Newegg.com

Here is the motherboard I have:
ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I greatly appreciate your help, and Merry Christmas!

If you plan on building a new rig you could buy a nice cooler now and carry it over. That's what I'd do.
If this makes sense to you I'd look at a Corsair H60 which would do good on the current and new computer.

If going cheap to get by is an absolute must then the CM Hyper 212 EVO is a good heatsink for the money.

Thanks PP Maguire,

I wouldn't mind springing for the H60. For the next build I want to do, I want to have a pretty low-key setup, and most importantly it should not generate much heat and it should be quiet. And I'd like to have a smaller case in the new setup (right now I have a full tower). Does this cooler fit into these criteria? Is my idea for my next setup too out of reach or is it possible?

The problem with my current desktop is its big, it's pretty loud, and it generates quite a lot of heat, especially since I'm in a pretty small room.

Thanks again.

I have the CM Hyper 212 EVO. It's a good bang for the buck. I can take ambient temp of 65 degs and drive the CPU temp down to mid 70's F. Only thing is when using a tower type cooler is to measure if you have the room for it. The measurement is from the surface of the CPU chip to the side of the case.

If your other is the OEM heat sink the low profile version then the wire can be soldered back on. Peel the foil sticker off and you'll see where the wires connect in. Strip off 1/8 of an inch twist and tin the wire. Heat up the solder blob on the board and lay the wire in. Remove heat. Check for solder bridges and if good return to service.

I have the CM Hyper 212 EVO. It's a good bang for the buck. I can take ambient temp of 65 degs and drive the CPU temp down to mid 70's F. Only thing is when using a tower type cooler is to measure if you have the room for it. The measurement is from the surface of the CPU chip to the side of the case.

If your other is the OEM heat sink the low profile version then the wire can be soldered back on. Peel the foil sticker off and you'll see where the wires connect in. Strip off 1/8 of an inch twist and tin the wire. Heat up the solder blob on the board and lay the wire in. Remove heat. Check for solder bridges and if good return to service.

Thanks for the reply. I'll measure it to make sure. I've never soldered before, so I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to go through that or just buy a new heatsink.

Oh I also had a question about thermal paste. I think it's about time I got new paste, I've still got the same tube from 2009. Any recommendations? And to clean dust off the motherboard and GPU should I use q-tips with rubbing alcohol?

Thanks!

Do you still have paste in your tube from 2009? If so...just use that. Otherwise, I still recommend TX-2 or MX4.

As for cleaning...yes, 90% alcohol is best, but I generally recommend coffee filters if you have 'em over q-tips. Less likely to tear apart and leave any lint, IMO.

Thanks PP Maguire,

I wouldn't mind springing for the H60. For the next build I want to do, I want to have a pretty low-key setup, and most importantly it should not generate much heat and it should be quiet. And I'd like to have a smaller case in the new setup (right now I have a full tower). Does this cooler fit into these criteria? Is my idea for my next setup too out of reach or is it possible?

The problem with my current desktop is its big, it's pretty loud, and it generates quite a lot of heat, especially since I'm in a pretty small room.

Thanks again.
The problem is how small do you want to go? The smaller the setup, the less airflow, the more heat. Your setup generates a lot of heat mainly due to the CPU being older and on a higher process. The best part about an AIO cooler is you can mount it so it blows all heat outside of the case and can fit in smaller mITX and mATX cases that support 120mm fan setups. Most small cases also don't have enough clearance for tower coolers.

Oh I also had a question about thermal paste. I think it's about time I got new paste, I've still got the same tube from 2009. Any recommendations? And to clean dust off the motherboard and GPU should I use q-tips with rubbing alcohol?

Thanks!
I'm still using the same large tube of AS5 from 2009 that I got with no issues.

As to cleaning dust off the board and GPU if it's not the CPU or GPU chip you can use an air compressor with the blower nozzle ONLY if you have a way to adjust the air pressure coming out. I use a shop vac that has a plastic hose and a long bristle end myself. Been doing it for years and takes less than 5 minutes to clean any piece to make them look like new. The alternative using alcohol and a coffee filter or Q-Tip doing it the absolute hard way.

If you go with the 212 get which ever CM 212 is cheaper, there are two versions of it, only difference is the fan. I have had really bad luck with the Evo fans, they don't seem to hold up for very long (have sold and installed 7 or so EVO 212's the past 3ish years) and always end up replacing the fans sooner rather than later. Any time I look at the EVO now I look at the cost of fan replacement and just go with which ever route ends up cheapest if I end up selling one those to a customer anymore. Really don't like repeat business like that, makes me look bad.

My fan didn't crap out but got replaced with all the case fans when I did that major tear down and clean up. I got a Cougar Vortex 120mm on it now. Moves a lot of air quietly.

Back
Top Bottom