CPU Fan - First time building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilles

In Runtime
My CPU fan won't snap in place. Once I get one fastener to lock, the opposite corner refuses to go in (the locks are pointed the correct direction). As well, the fan had a built in heat sink, and the thermal paste, or whatever that gray stuff is, is now on the CPU, but the fan is not. Should I be worried about that at all?

What make/model is your fan/heatsink? Can you supply pictures? I can't really picture what you are describing if I don't know at least the model of the heatsink/fan.

Sorry, Intel E8400.

So I just put in my processor, and I am ready to put on the fan. I place it over the CPU, line up the fasteners with the holes, make sure the tops of the fasteners are pointed the correct direction, and I push one in. It snaps in place, and the fan tilts a fair bit to one side. I can snap in another fastener beside the one already in, but I cannot snap the one across from it in.

You are putting on the Heatsink then. The fan is on top and is part of the heatsink. It sounds like you are using the stock "push-pin" heatsink. They are always a pain to install. What you need to do is line up the holes, then push them in 2 at a time, diagonally, or one at a time, but again going diagonally. Never do the 2 on the same side first as it makes the other 2 nearly impossible to push through.

Sorry, yeah it's the push pins.
I have it in now, but they aren't as far in as they can go, they're just barely in. There was no "snap", and I really don't think it's fully secure. Although it seems tight when I pull on it a little. The pins are pushing out the back of the mobo (I had the mobo in the case before, I took it out to see better).

I can get pictures if you want. Of it now, and when I "snap" them in.

If you can see that the white separators have fully pushed through and the cone shaped part is fully visible, you should be fine. Pictures would help some, yes, to see if it is fully attached.

Can't find my camera. : (
Could I just leave the mobo out, with the processor in it? I can have a friend look at it in a couple days.

You can leave the mobo out as long as it is temporary, and is on a non-conductive surface. However, if you have the push-pins in, and a firm nudge doesn't make it pop loose, I would say it is likely attached as well as it will get and should be fine to use.

Well I don't even have the power supply yet, it should come soon. :p
I'll just leave the mobo out on it's wrap. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom