CPU cooler upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgulian

Solid State Member
If i want to get a CPU cooler/fan what have you, what kind of specs do I need to look at on the fan/heat sink and or my own computer to make sure that they will be compatible with each other?

And are heat sink, fan, and cooler all synonyms?

Well fan can pertain to anything. CPU heatsinks are a better definition. What board do you have? It has to fit your series' retention holes.

I recommend Xigmatek or Scythe. My top two. :thumbsup:

What is your budget?

That case can take anything.

What socket do you have? If you supply the motherboard model number, we can find that out.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Here it is. Had to dig through old newegg history orders.

I'm looking at a cpu heatsink because when i play games such as Portal 2 and Starcraft 2, my compute r will turn off and reboot. My thinking is that the CPU is overheated and what not. I ran HWMonitor (i believe its called that) and it said my temps were around 200 C. Which I think is way to hot.

Does my reasoning make sense that if I did get a cooler this could potentially solve my problems?

Thanks

That is not possible. The threshold is around 80C, around that temp, the system will shut down. Even if you meant 200F (92C), still way off. Unless this is your GPU.

But yes, it is recommended to get a 3rd party heatsink, cools a lot better than stock.

Not sure what your budget is, but this is a good one: Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Aside from that, you also need good airflow in your case. What case do you have, how many fans do you have, and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom