CPU and bus speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daboga75

Beta member
Here's the deal: I fried the motherboard on my Pavilion pc, and am looking at a new one for it.

My problem is I don't fully understand bus speeds. Is the CPU bus speed the same thing as the FSB?

I have a Celeron (Tualatin core) 1300/256/100 processor, it was running originally on a board with a FSB of 133mhz.

So why was the processor rated at a bus speed of 100mhz even though the FSB of the board was rated at 133 mhz?
Does that mean I was really running a FSB of only 100 mhz?

Ok, next question. I am looking at a pcchips 786 v5.2 board. It says it will run :
FCPGA Celeron: 300~966 MHz, FSB: 66 MHz
FCPGA Pentium III: 500~1130MHz, FSB: 100MHz, 133MHz
Tualatin/Tualatin Celeron : up to 1.3GHz, FSB: 133MHz
Will it, then, support my processor (the Celeron 1.3/256/100) optimally?

Money is tight, and the pcchips board meets all other requirements, I would hate to buy something that wouldn't run correctly with my processor.

also, don't know if this matters, but the board has jumpers to allow adjustment of the cpu frequency and to change the multiplier. And it will be using pc100/133 sdram.

If you need any more info to help me in answering my questions, just let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The processor will work with the new PC Chips board. Are you sure the previous motherboard only allowed 100mhz fsb? That would litterally cripple the processor. But if that's the case, then yes, it was downclocked.

Ryan

Well, the board said FSB of 133mhz. My cpu says it has a bus speed of 100 mhz. Is the cpu bus speed and the front side bus on the board the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom