Cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Chapman

Beta member
Hi there can i ask what would be a better buy for me I like to play games like hl2 bf2 and unreal gonna upgrade a little nothing to fancy tho im looking at the intel pentium 4 650 with HT tech (3.4mhz , 2mb cache) or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ any hep would be very much appreciated Cheers :cool:

Do you have parts already? Are you building a new computer? AMD processors are superior in the gaming department, and would go with one of those without a doubt. The 3800+ will perform better out of the box than the 3.4ghz P4.

Ryan

woah, woah. That's not how we make a decision around here... :) I want to figure out what you're doing altogether. I would never buy the 3800+, but that's me.

Ryan

Steven Chapman said:
Hi there can i ask what would be a better buy for me I like to play games like hl2 bf2 and unreal gonna upgrade a little nothing to fancy tho im looking at the intel pentium 4 650 with HT tech (3.4mhz , 2mb cache) or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ any hep would be very much appreciated Cheers :cool:

im confused, are you replacing the whole of your current computer?
if not then you have to find out what socket your motherboard supports. if you are replacing the whole thing/ getting a whole new computer then go right ahead...

im buildin a complete comp
i figure a 256 ATI Radeon X800 GT with 2X 512 400mhz with Nvidia nfoce 4 motherboard would do quite nice AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ or..... do i go Intel pentium 4 650 HT technology 3.4 2mb cache running 800mhz with same graphics card same ram Which way sould i go??

when it comes to gaming the choice is clear definetly amd , intel have no advantage in that field , and dont worry about multi tasking true amd processors dont have hyperthreading but the x2 3800 is dual core and is very good at multi tasking cuz of that

Edit : so you changed your mind and your thinking of getting 3800+ (non x2) ? so it looks from one your replies above not sure about it , well ok its not as great in multitasking like the x2's but still the gaming part^ is true

Okay buddy chill down so we can help ya. Dual core is a great idea, but also comes with it's price. If you can blow $300 for it, great, if not, that's okay too. Your alternative to the Athlon 64 x2 3800+ (OC's to Athlon 64 x2 4200+) is the single core Athlon 64 3700+ (OC's to Athlon 64 4000+).

For your video card, your best option is either the X1800GTO or 7600GT for lower range. For mid ranged, look at the X1800XT or 7900GT. For high end look at the 7900GTX or X1900XT (OC's to XTX speeds easily, saves $50 or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom