Cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffee4me

Baseband Member
My older computer supports AMD Athlon 700-1.2GHz. There is a 900 CPU in there now.
What happens if I would put a 1.7 CPU in there ? Would the 1.7 fall back to 1.2 ?

What socket are the two processors respectively?
I am tempted to say they are both Socket A, since the Slot A Athlon Thunderbirds only reached 950MHz.

I don't think that they will work to be honest, the early Athlon/Duron processors used SD RAM whereas the later ones used DDR RAM. The two can obviously not be used in the same board. I can't tell you for sure without seeing the exact specifications of the processors in question

As I said, I don't know until I know which memory type your motherboard supports. If your Thunderbird has a 266MHz FSB speed, your motherboard will support DDR and you can use the 1700+. If not, you are stuck with SDRAM and cannot

gaara said:
As I said, I don't know until I know which memory type your motherboard supports. If your Thunderbird has a 266MHz FSB speed, your motherboard will support DDR and you can use the 1700+. If not, you are stuck with SDRAM and cannot

The 900 Thunderbird has a 266 MHz FSB speed.

Would the difference between the 900 and the 1700 be extremely noticeable ???

DJ-CHRIS said:
Yeah it would be pretty noticeable, it's a doubble speed increase.

Right, but my motherboard supports only till 1200 MHz.

Would the 1700 fall back to 1200 if I put it in my mobo?

How noticeable would it be if I replaced my 900 with a 1200 (that's the max my mobo supports) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom