Which CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no guarantee the upcoming AMD cpu's will be faster than the q9650, or for that matter if they will even be compatible with am2+ motherboards. Just because the current am3 chips are backwards compatible doesn't mean they always will be.

You don't need a water cooling loop for the e8400 to out oc the x3 720, it is more than capable of doing that on air. Unless that 1ghz oc on the x3 720 invlolved a run of Intel Burn test it doesn't mean much, unstable clocks are easy to get.

I'm not saying the e8400 is a better value, it is $45 more expensive and doesn't offer many advantages for the general consumer.

I got a stable overclock at 3.6ghz with stock cooling, I didn't test the other higher overclocks because of temp issues, but I'm sure with better cooling 3.8ghz would be a nice stable 24/7 overclock.

I just don't think the extra 45 bucks is worth it right now. When the prices are closer together together, maybe.

lol, I was in that position before with my old case and stock cooling. I was to afraid to even look at core temp running 3dmark 06.

To be fair though 15 minutes of prime doesn't mean much as far as stability is concerned. You either need multiple hours of prime 95 or 5+ passes of intel burn test on max stress to know it is stable.

I get that, but normally with my Prime tests, if the first 15 minutes goes without a hitch, then it's normally alright for the next few hours. I just couldn't risk the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom