Cooling and upgradeablity - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Cooling and upgradeablity

Greetings, not sure if this should go here or in the high end forum but anyway I have just recently upgraded my power supply and GPU from a 400w stock unit to an 850w Thermaltake W0172RU and Evga 8800gts to a GTX 260. My PC is a Promagix E2240 by Velocity Micro with a 2.4 Q6600 Quad and a Asus P5N-E SLI board. My question would be what can i do for additional cooling for the system. My GPU temp Idles at 108F and processor is in the mid to high 90's. Keep in mind with this case I'm kind of limited on space i had to actually remove part of my HD tray to fit that GTX in there. Was considering the following-

Thermaltakeusa*»*Cooler*»*CPU Cooler*»*Intel Socket LGA 775*»*DuOrb : DuOrb CL-P0464

Thermaltakeusa*»*Cooler*»*CPU Cooler*»*Intel Socket LGA 775*»*MaxOrb EX : MaxOrb EX CL-P0467

Current Processor cooler is Articcool Freezer Pro 7. Also if anybody knows any coolers that would fit for that GTX260 that would much appreciated as well. Also was wondering how upgradeable is the processor for this machine? I'm new at doing anything that involves tweaking the processor and cooling related stuff so any info would be most appreciated.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Cooling and upgradeablity

Those temps aren't bad...... They are actually very good given the size of the case and heatsinks used I would be suspect of what program your using to measure these temps. A new cpu cooler wouldn't change much you would need a thermalright true 120 extreme to see a worthy jump but that cooler wouldn't fit in your case . What programs are you using to get those temps? Have you changed the case fans at all?

If you want something to do now make sure the cables are nicely organised and tucked ou of sight so that the airflow can be maximised.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer

yea that CPU temp would be in the low to mid 30's which is really good. and video cards run hot anyway, you should expect 40-45ish C at idle and 50-60's C when gaming

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Somebody recommended a program called speed fan to me, not sure if it's very accurate. I'll be sure to double check the wiring harnesses i have one may have busted loose or something. Haven't changed the stock fans yet was thinking that might help to, any recommendations for a good setup?
Closed Thread