Cooling my CPU and Case in general - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
Content Team

FOr 3dmark05 I get 4533 when I OC the card to 375/720 and is 4325 at 350/700. These values are quite abit lower than yours for some reason.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Its because 3dmark05 is more GPU dependent.

Thats why a few people including myself dont like synthetic benchmarks..... they dont tell you much, and i think this proves it.... your scored higher in aquamark, and lower in 3dmark.

and Doom3 is the only game i know of with a built in Timedemo, so the Demo score is universal... and it shows real ingame performance for Nvidia cards, that would probably give you a real indication of game performance.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Artic Silver thermal paste is guaranteed to reduce your temps alone. You could try it first and if not cold enough then buy a cooler. This Hyper48 works really well, and is small enough to fit in tight areas. However, if you have room, go with a Zalman 7700. The 9500 isnt compatible with socket 754.
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
Old 11-22-2005, 10:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Monster Techie

yea, i always use arctic silver 5 too... but im guessing AS5 is only as effective as the person applying it... So apply it properly and it will most likely work properly...

i always follow the instructions exactly, shown here --> http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

remember, the hole point of putting AS5 on like that, with just a small amount balled up in the center.... is so the pressure of the HSF spreads it out so all(or most) of the air is pushed out and no air pockets form... So if i screw up by moving the HSF around to much or maybe even upand down when im fidling with the hooks to clamp it on... then i just remove it and clean off the AS5 and start all over again. some HSF's are easyer to put on then others. and remember if you have to put the HSF on strait down, so the AS5 gets spread out mostly evenly.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Content Team

According to Zalmanns website the 9500 should fit on my motherboard. But is it better than say the Thermalright XP90-c or the 120?

What does LTD stand for when dealing with memory??
Old 11-23-2005, 12:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Content Team

I changed the LTD/MC2C(or something like that..) ratio from 4 to 3 because my HTT is set to 240 and I changed my memory frequency to 166. Was that the right thing to do so that I actually get 200 mhz frequency from the 2 sided 2 sticks of Geil Ram I have and keep the FSB under 800mhz
Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

Hm, I did use the AS5 too, maybe that helped.

I didn't really read any instructions when I applied it, I just put a little dab on, clipped on the heat sink, gave it about 20 seconds, then took it off. I noticed that it had PERFECTLY made a circle out near the edges, but not too far that it would spill over.

So I assume I did it right. The PC turned on so I didn't care much after that.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayce
gave it about 20 seconds, then took it off. I noticed that it had PERFECTLY made a circle out near the edges, but not too far that it would spill over.
If you didnt clean off the AS5 and start over again, then you pritty much defeated the hole purpose of applying AS5 in that mannor... Lifting off the HSF and then putting it back on as is, would be the same as spreading AS5 across the Heatspreader to begin with.

It will work of course no matter witch way you do it... but just so others know, you have to follow the instructions if your a perfectionist and wont the Full benefits of AS5.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Content Team

So I've been thinking and instead of purchasing the zalmann vf7000 and the cnps9500 right away, I would instead maybe get rid of my 6800 128mb OC AGP card and get a new s754 mobo with PCIe and get something like the 7800GT or the 6800gs and then cool everything down after that. What do you guys recommend for s754 mobos that have PCIe on them. I plan on OCing thanks

OH and BTW Happy Thanksgiving Day ALL
Old 11-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I have the Gigabyte GA-K8NE and everything tested fine... however the only reason i cant tell you if you could technically O/C on it is because i forgot to check if it has the LTD multi option.

i know it has all other o/c settings available i just didnt take a close look because i wasnt interested in O/Cing, i would take a look for you but i cant start up the system again untill i get ram for it. sorry.

Closed Thread