Constant Short Freezing in Games - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Constant Short Freezing in Games

Well the CPU passed after 6 1/2 hours without error. I also tried different tests, seems to handle everything I throw at it.

Thought it might be a network thing since I have only tried online games. Half-Life 2 will start up but then gets stuck, does the exact same thing, goes for a bit, freezes, goes for a bit, freezes.

The only thing left is the mobo? I may just have to scrap this machine and make it a mythtv front end and get a new mobo,cpu,ram,hdd on the Intel Platform.

Any other suggestions.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

At this point I have tested everything I can think of. My PC runs flawlessly when doing anything regular (Eclipse, PhotoShop, Picasa, Open Office, Chrome with 12 windows, FF with 10 tabs, etc).

Its only games does it start to choke, this issue is going to drive me crazy.

Could it possibly be the NIC Card? every game I have tested had some type of online component:

Warhammer Online & WoW both get consistent freezing
Half-Life 2 & Counter-strike - Can't even start a game because it locks up

I have titan quest, maybe I will install it and see if I get the problem, if so maybe if I disable the NIC and try the game to verify if its the NIC? Could a NIC cause this type of issue? it doesn't feel like its actually a network issue.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What is overclocks?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well disabled my NIC, and HL2 still suffered from the same problem in offline mode. Titan Quest also suffered from the same problem.

I guess I will just have to build myself a new Intel based Gaming rig

I used to love AMD, but this is my 2nd PC to have odd issues when it comes to gaming, and AMD was in both of them. Too bad!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

I don't think its AMD's fault. You probably just had bad luck.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The same could be said for any hardware. I love AMD, I use them in all of my linux servers and work PC's. I am now 0 for 2 on gaming rigs when it comes to AMD.

Bad Luck? Maybe, but regardless the bad luck came when using AMD in high performance machines, so I doubt I will buy an AMD Gaming rig for a long while.

Got any suggestions that will help me resolve my actual issue?

I did upgrade the BIOS when I first noticed the problem in Vista thinking it might be a Vista thing with the MOBO, I was thinking of downgrading, but the problem showed up before I upgraded, so I don't think that will work.

The new intel NIC came in, no success with that.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have had the exact same problem on basically the exact same machine (you didn't specify mobo model number, that's the only thing that might be different.) I've run pretty much every benchmark software I could find and found 0 errors, but when it comes to some games these .5-1 second freezes happen every 10-20 seconds nonstop. Other computers on the network have no issues.

I was thinking hard drive up till now but that didn't seem to work for you, I'd hate for it to be the CPU (my second guess). I've always been an AMD fanboy and I kinda feel cheated now. Did you ever figure out a solution to this?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Should I consider looking into the mobo being defective? Heat management doesn't seem to be the issue.

Closed Thread