Considering upgrading my CPU

He doesn't need to overclock his CPU, as it's not holding him back at all. I was using a stock 750 just 3 weeks ago without an issue.

His issue with GTA4 isn't with being optimized at all. He was talking about maxing the draw distance which calls for a large amount of VRAM. Nothing more, nothing less. The RAM indicator is actually very accurate in that game. Getting a 7950 or a 660ti that has more VRAM than his current card would most likely eliminate any issues he is having in these 2 games without a doubt.

He doesn't need to overclock his CPU, as it's not holding him back at all. I was using a stock 750 just 3 weeks ago without an issue.

His issue with GTA4 isn't with being optimized at all. He was talking about maxing the draw distance which calls for a large amount of VRAM. Nothing more, nothing less. The RAM indicator is actually very accurate in that game. Getting a 7950 or a 660ti that has more VRAM than his current card would most likely eliminate any issues he is having in these 2 games without a doubt.
I think OC'ing the CPU in large multiplayer maps could help squeeze out a few more FPS.

I ran the I5-760 since release up until my upgrade to an I7. I stand behind that I5 CPU, it is very good.
I would certainly look at updating any drivers possible as you should not have any problems with the hardware.

I ran the I5-760 since release up until my upgrade to an I7. I stand behind that I5 CPU, it is very good.
I would certainly look at updating any drivers possible as you should not have any problems with the hardware.
Finally somebody with reason lol. Had my 750 since 09.

I do use the I7 with VMs and all but I probably could of gotten away without any need to upgrade from that I5.

Feels like I wasted 400$

PP, I don't know why you keep saying CPU makes little difference to GTA4. It is a primarily CPU bound game.

Agree, the i5 760 should make it playable at pretty acceptable settings. But a better CPU always leads to FPS gains in IV. The difference when I went from a Q9550 to my i7 2600 was very noticeable. Okay, so that's quite a big leap, but it does reinforce the fact IV is CPU bound.

Thats not to say a GPU isn't important in GTA either. Because it is. But CPU is equally important, if not more.

Considering the fact that 3 weeks ago I was running 100% perfectly fine with a single 580 and stock 750, would reinforce the fact that it isn't his CPU.
Not only that, but he was complaining about not being able to increase draw distance which is 100% VRAM and only VRAM. Please read the thread.

As to your bump, that's Core 2 to second gen Core i as opposed to us talking about being on Core i. Big difference in your jump, not so much this way. Having tons of experience with this particular CPU and having played the game quite a bit recently WITH the CPU in question I can guarantee you that upping his GPU will grant him what he wants. Spending 300+ on a CPU/motherboard will give him a max of 5FPS in that particular game as opposed to getting a 7950 or 660ti with the VRAM requirements that will grant him an upwards of 10FPS.
I base my recommendations on what will grant the most FPS increase for the money. In this case, it's still going to be the GPU due to him only having 1GB of VRAM.

Wow, wasn't expecting that many responses so quickly. Sorry I was absent during all of that. My graphics card has 2gb , not 1gb, so would an upgrade still be worth it? And just con confirm, is overclocking need or not with my cpu? Because I really don't want to fiddle around with all that if I can avoid it.

Edit: Also, in regards to trying Planetside 2, did you just play around for a short while or did you get involved in large battles with hundreds of players? Because that's where the frame drops come in...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom