Considering a Quad Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikbix

In Runtime
I'm currently running my computer with a Pentium Dual-Core e5200 (essentially an underglorified Core 2 Duo) on a P45 motherboard. It runs pretty nicely, I have no complaints about it. But I was considering the prospect of upgrading to a Core 2 Quad.

Is it worth it right now considering the cost?

Would I notice much of a difference?

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Objections?

I had similar thoughts ~6 months ago of upgrading to a Core 2 Quad from my E8400, but found that either new or second-hand (ebay), many of the decent Core 2 Quad CPUs (the Q9*** series) are daftly expensive, usually still over £100 (~$150).

If you can find one for a good price, and are able to OC it a bit, I would say that it's probably worth upgrading to one. It depends on if you're going to use those extra cores, or would more clock speed help you?

If you don't mind reinstalling you could go with an Athlon II x4 and a new mobo. Just get a AM3/AM2+/AM2 board so you can reuse your current RAM. Odds are you would come out cheaper going with that solution than buying a quad for your current board.

The Athlon route might be cheaper but it's worth keeping in mind that they are slower than the Q9xxx Core 2 Quads and have similar performance the cheaper Q8xxx Core 2 Quad processors.

I was considering the AMD route if it left me better options for any future upgrade. I guess it probably boils down to what kind of deal I can get, the **** C2Q's are pretty expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom