Considering New Computer, what do you think? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Considering New Computer, what do you think?

Well, I've decided that it's time to start building a new computer! I've been researching parts for a while now, and I've pretty much decided what I want to get.

I'm thinking of getting:
AMD Athlon64 Dual Core 3800+
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 mobo
OCZ 1gb stick of RAM
Pioneer 16x DVD-RW
CoolerMaster Centurion 540 case
and for now I'm going to keep my old vid card, Radeon 9000 (will upgrade that later)

I would just like someone else's opinion on this setup, and I also had a question about the power supply.
The case comes with a 380W power supply, but will this be enough to run this setup? If so, will I need to upgrade it later, when I upgrade my video card?

Thanks for any replies!

Old 03-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The coolermaster PSU's aren't too bad but aren't great, I'd say go for a Fortron Source 450W when you want to buy one.
I had my system in my sig running smoothly on a Nzxt stock 400W PSU fine, but switched it out just in case.
So to be safe, get a new one I'd say.
Also, ASRock is said to be a rather 'cheap' brand, so it may not have very features and may seem rather cheap when you look at it, if that makes sense.
Everything else looks fine, just be sure to upgrade that video card - because in gaming you'd be better off with an AMD 3000 Venice and a 6600GT (Or 6800GS, 7800GT, etc.) than a 3800X2 and a not-so-good videocard.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Try some case with better PSU. The 380 W leaves you with little upgradibility in te future. You'd better have something like 450W+.

Also, the 3800 x2 doesn't help you as much as a better graphic card if you're going on gaming. Get a 3000 venice and a 7600 gt will be much better.

Also, consider getting more cheaper RAM. OCZ RAMs are for OCing. Get some Value Select corsair RAM for example.
DFI Lan party UT NF4 Ultra
AMD Opteron 146 2.0 Mhz @ 2.8 GHz
OCZ Gold Edition 2x512 MB DDR 500 timing 2.5-3-3-8 @ DDR 560
XFX GeForce 7600 GT 256 Mb GDDR3
Antec Lanboy Mini Tower Case
Antec True Control 550W ATX2.0 PSU
Maxtor 300 GB 7200 RMP SATA 16Mb Cache
17\'\' TFT Screen 12 ms
Old 03-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

that radeon 9000 is probably agp, so you're forcing yoruself to get an agp board for the sake of that crappy video card. this is what i suggest. keep the dual-core cpu and get a mobo with integrated video and a pci-express slot.. integrated video these days is probably much better than that jurrasic 9000. after you've saved up, buy a good pci-express video card, and this way you also have dual core.. i think dual core is always the way to go.
ALSO, are you just getting 1 stick of ram? you know with 2 exact same sticks you can get dual-channel. so if you can't get another gig of ram, get 2 X 512mb of ram.. dual-channel gives good performance boost.
MSI mobo $75

this is a good example of a mobo you should get, it has integrated video with vga and dvi out, and also a pci-express lane for when you want to buy a good video card.

as for the powersupply, it should be good enough until you get a video card. you can either buy a good one now (probably save money) or buy a good one when you plan on buying your video card.

good luck
"Is virtue a thing remote? I wish to be virtuous, and lo! Virtue is at hand." -Confucius
Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the replies everyone and aliasad, i'll consider going that way... but the mobo i posted above is both agp and pci-e, so i was going to use my current agp card until i have enough money to upgrade, then i was going to get a nice pci-e one.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Content Team

get tehe ASRock for both PCI and AGP. My buddy has it and loves it.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

if i were to go the way that aliasad suggested, could someone please reccomend a motherboard that is better than the ASRock i posted earlier, but is either cheaper or the same price as that one?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

THIS MOBO seems interesting and it has a lot of features plus ANANDTECH has some good things to say about it.
My \"tite\" sysytem:Compaq SR1020NX
Celeron 2.8GHz
Cheap generic mobo(MSI)
PNY Geforce fx5500 128 MB pci
512 MB pc2700 ddr ram
compaq case with generic 250 watt psu Maiden.jpg
Old 03-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Most of the crossover boards have a limited selection of supported cards on the AGP or AGPro slots so verify your cards compatibility. Also using the ULI chipset you take about a 5% performance hit just to be able to use AGP. As Aliasaid pointed out a board with onboard video may be your better bet. Hope that helps
3700+ sandiego core
chaintech vnf4 ultra
evga 7800gt
2x1 gig corsair xms
antec tpII 550
80 gig hitachi sata2
win xp pro sp2
Old 03-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

alright i'm considering going the onboard-video route instead, could someone help me pick out a good pci-e mobo with onboard video from here:

Closed Thread