Considering building... advice for modest editing station? Or stick with Pre-built? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Considering building... advice for modest editing station? Or stick with Pre-built?

I used to be an avid builder of PCs in the 90's but have been very seriously out of the game since then.

For the last 6 years I've found the best bang-for-my-buck was buying scratch-and-dent models from the Dell Outlet, and that's worked out pretty well. It always seemed to cost less than I could build my own for.

But now the models I want from the Dell Outlet are just out of my price range, and I'm considering going back into building my own. But I honestly have NO IDEA where to start these days! I mean, back in the day, CPUs were just starting to need cooling fans, and now I understand there are sophisticated cooling systems that are required.
I'm a bit intimidated, which is why part of me wants to just sit and wait for a Dell Outlet coupon to show up. But I really like saving money, and I miss the sense of pride I had building my own box.
So, I'm looking for advice. If I were to build my own, what would you recommend?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

Default Re: Considering building... advice for modest editing station? Or stick with Pre-built?

I would recommend posting a new thread in the New Systems | Building and Buying area.

In the thread post:
Budget for the build
What components you need (reusing anything, need monitor/mouse/keyboard?)
Country you're purchasing in
What the primary purpose of it is (gaming, video editing/rendering, general purpose)

Sit back and let the suggestions come flowing in, then decide what would work best for you given the suggestions.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Considering building... advice for modest editing station? Or stick with Pre-built?

EDIT: whoops, wrong section!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
I would recommend posting a new thread in the New Systems | Building and Buying area.

In the thread post:
Budget for the build
What components you need (reusing anything, need monitor/mouse/keyboard?)
Country you're purchasing in
What the primary purpose of it is (gaming, video editing/rendering, general purpose)

Sit back and let the suggestions come flowing in, then decide what would work best for you given the suggestions.
Oops- didn't realize I was in the wrong section! Thanks!
Closed Thread