Confirm my build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Well here is my current build is there anything I should change?

Intel Q9550 (Was going to go w/AMD X3 720 but I got a great deal on the chip for $200)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card:
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Rosewill RP650-2 650W, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply, UL,FCC,CE,TUV,ROHS:
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP650-2 650W, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply, UL,FCC,CE,TUV,ROHS - Power Supplies

I chose that PSU because it was only $30 after combo savings and it comes w/a free tool kit lol

Samsung 650GB SATA Hard Drive

So how does everything look? Will this all run together?

Get this combo with your processor and video card:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Looks like that ram is out of stock, this is good ram:
Newegg.com - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'd invest in a better power supply. Rosewill makes good ones, but I'd only recommend them if you're building a low end budget system.

This one is better quality:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Looks like a pretty solid build for everything. If it's a matter of compatibility, everything is going to run excellently. If you ever have a problem figuring out any issues, I'd look up the crucial parts in this order:
MotherBoard to CPU compatibility < Make sure your motherboard won't bottleneck the performance of your CPU and the CPU is the correct series.
Motherboard to RAM compatibility < Believe it or not, I made this very simple mistake and it cost my client 200+ dollars in shipping, re-shipping and the like. Quick way is to compare the motherboard series to the memory on the official site. It doesn't show underneath the specific details on newegg.

Motherboard to Case Compatibility < Not really a 'big' issue, more personal prefences often match a case to small or two big to fit everything you need.

Everything else such as a powersupply and hard drives are cake. What about your CD-ROM drive? do you already have a spare picked out?

MotherBoard to CPU compatibility < Make sure your motherboard won't bottleneck the performance of your CPU and the CPU is the correct series.

Motherboard to RAM compatibility < Believe it or not, I made this very simple mistake and it cost my client 200+ dollars in shipping, re-shipping and the like. Quick way is to compare the motherboard series to the memory on the official site. It doesn't show underneath the specific details on newegg.

Motherboard to Case Compatibility < Not really a 'big' issue, more personal prefences often match a case to small or two big to fit everything you need.

Everything else such as a powersupply and hard drives are cake. What about your CD-ROM drive? do you already have a spare picked out?

What do you mean by a motherboard/chip bottleneck? Should I buy a higher end board?

With regards to the memory are their specific brands of ram that motherboards like and don't like or is it an issue of the speed? I know the board said something like DDR2 1333/1066 OC I wasnt really sure what that meant. Whether that means I can OC to those speeds or whether I can physically install ram of that speed.

I plan on just getting a cheap 22x Lite-On SATA DVD-RW drive.

What do you mean by a motherboard/chip bottleneck? Should I buy a higher end board?
Think of it as a future note. The best way I can explain it is, your motherboard would be the frame of a car with a motorcycle engine. The engine may be powerful enough but, it will run into issues as you try and say, overclock or push the power.

In motherboards, I haven't seen any extreme amounts of bottlenecking or really 'issues' with the motherboard to CPU. I believe it's in the motherboards FSB. If your front side bus on the motherboard is lower than the front side bus of your CPU you won't get 100% of the power of your CPU.

With regards to the memory are their specific brands of ram that motherboards like and don't like or is it an issue of the speed? I know the board said something like DDR2 1333/1066 OC I wasnt really sure what that meant. Whether that means I can OC to those speeds or whether I can physically install ram of that speed.
Ram can be as picky as specific motherboard chipsets or one size fits all. 1333/1066 is the frequency at which the memory can run at. 1066 being the lower. OC stands for over clocking. You will have to check with someone else if you want a question answered about ram timing :D

I don't read you as the type to overclock this CPU much, so I wouldn't worry about it, a lot of mid-range to high-end computer parts are overclockable. Actually, almost 'any' system can be overclocked, but it's a matter of the stress factor it will place on the boards voltage and individual modules in the board such as ram. Ram is a very big issue in overclocking along with the type of motherboard.

So really, physical speed relies in the CPU, the ram helps the CPU run more effectively with the more memory is used to store small megabytes of information. Any closer to the CPU and you are thinking of the FSB and some other memory that's built into the CPU which is REALLY close. Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent.
I plan on just getting a cheap 22x Lite-On SATA DVD-RW drive.

SATA drives are good. I hear they are quiter and some how faster? I don't really care, I prefer IDE but it's going to be pretty standard soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom