Configuring Settings After Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
for vista you can use sysprep as originally shown by trotter.

That's quite the convenient tool! So let me get this straight: I get my goodies in the mail to put together, I run the sysprep, shut my current (old) comp down, build my new rig, slide in the HD, boot it up, and it will take it from there?

Try Sysrep first as Hefe mentioned. It will be less bothersome and will make the transfer from one PC to another much easier on you, that way you won't have to deal with wiping all your data.

Try Sysrep first as Hefe mentioned. It will be less bothersome and will make the transfer from one PC to another much easier on you, that way you won't have to deal with wiping all your data.

Yep basically sysprep is designed for mass deployment of an os to many different machines with different configurations. You can install al the programs and whatever you need on a hard drive then run sysprep to remove all of the device drivers. Then you could clone a bunch of hard drives for installation on new machines. In your case it is just the one machine.

Keep in mind that you will need to install all the new drivers for your machine. I always do it in this order:

1 chipset
2 lan
3 check online for any windows updates if necessary
4 gpu
5 all other needed drivers in no specific order.

Have fun.

Keep in mind that you will need to install all the new drivers for your machine. I always do it in this order:

1 chipset
2 lan
3 check online for any windows updates if necessary
4 gpu
5 all other needed drivers in no specific order.

Have fun.

Should i be installing these drivers before or after i install the HD in the new rig?

Bumping this up for the time being:

My new components should be coming in today, and I just want to make sure I have an OK plan.

Im using all new parts, aside from my current HD (with windows vista, drivers, and all other data already on it), which i plan to use in my new build. Hef suggested that I use the Sysprep tool on windows vista, and I just wanted to MAKE SURE that this will work, and is the best option - I have been doing some research online, and some people are saying that using an old HD with a new rig is possible, whereas some are saying its NOT possible.

So.. i just want to make sure this will work so i don't screw anything up.

The idea is that this Sysprep tool, when set to "shutdown mode," will clear all my current hardware drivers off of my hardrive, and shutdown my computer, leaving my harddrive clear of anything that will conflict with my NEW hardware build.

So my steps are: receive my new parts in the mail (woohoo!) > hop on my current computer > run Sysprep > let sysprep shutdown my current comp > take out the HD > build the new rig > slip in the "sysprepped" HD > boot up the new rig > presto? (then install new drivers, of course)

Is it that easy? And also, anything extra I need to knwo about running the sysprep tool? or will there just be onscreen instructions that will guide me through everything?

Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom