Computer won't recognize new Hard Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Computer won't recognize new Hard Drive

I am trying to install a new hard drive with Windows 7, but my computer doesn't seem to recognize the hard drive.

I have this motherboard:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR K8M800 Micro AM2 AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I just bought this hard drive:
Seagate ST32000542AS Barracuda LP Hard Drive - 2TB, 5900 RPM, 32MB, SATA-3G at TigerDirect.com

The bios my computer is running is:
phoenix award bios v6.00pg

I have the hard drive plugged into the SATA drive on the motherboard, I also have the power cable hooked up. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I really want/need to get this hard drive installed with Windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Computer won't recognize new Hard Drive

was the previous drive sata?

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

No it was not a SATA Drive... do I need to adjust something so that it will recognize the SATA drive?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Is the hard drive even detected in the bios menu?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

No it doesn't seem to register that it is there. I am not sure how to turn on the SATA ports, or what I need to do.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

perhaps, go into the bios and look for hard drive settings, and under an option for sata drives switch it to IDE. I can't be much more specific than that without having the manual in front of me. If you can't find anything in the bios lemme know and I'll get into it and find out, or give some other ideas.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

In the bios, go to "Integrated Peripherals" > "Via OnChip IDE Device" then
"OnChip Sata" [enabled]
"Sata mode" [IDE]
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

I attached a picture of my bio and it appears that I have it set as it is supposed to be... Am I missing something else?

I have never had this problem before when adding a new hard drive... It isn't even showing up in the BIOS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-22_21-52-32_828.jpg (89.2 KB, 1451 views)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

The settings look fine to me.

Other things I might consider is that the hard drive might bad or the drive is too big/new for your motherboard to detect it properly.

If you can, somehow test the drive on another system just to make sure it works.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

My laptop has a SATA port on the side, but I am not sure how I can power it... I can try it there. I might be able to take it over to someone's house and give it a try as well..

Is there any reason that the computer wouldn't be able to recognize the hard drive because its too big?

EDIT: Do I need to upgrade my BIOS?

Also, I was able to install Windows 7 on the old drive and have it up and running, but I can't even get it to recognize the hard drive as a secondary drive.

Closed Thread