Computer Upgrades for a low budget

Zman350x

Baseband Member
My laptop is running slow and I'm looking to upgrade it. What components would be best to upgrade (computer specs below)? Price wise I would like to stay around $200 USD, but I will go up to 300. I know it's bad, but anything other than buying a new one would help.

NOTE: I just copied and pasted these specs from the DirectX Diagnostics and Intel Graphics Panel

Laptop/OS: HP Elitebook 8460p running Windows 7 Professional. (64 bit)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
System Model: HP Elitebook 846
RAM: 8192MB
Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Graphics Driver: 9.17.10.4229
DirectX Version: 11

If there is anything else you need(That isn't in the list above), Just leave a reply.

Hey, I know that this thread has been vacant for a while. I was thinking, since I still don't have enough for a whole new computer, that maybe I could disassemble my current laptop and put the motherboard, ram, etc. into a desktop case and upgrade it from there. Possible?

Hey, I know that this thread has been vacant for a while. I was thinking, since I still don't have enough for a whole new computer, that maybe I could disassemble my current laptop and put the motherboard, ram, etc. into a desktop case and upgrade it from there. Possible?

No......
It would be easier to remove your tonsils by going through your backside than to configure a laptop motherboard to work in a desktop case

Last edited:
You'd have to do some case modding to allow a laptop to mount in a desktop case, if you did it, you'd still be stuck with the problem that laptops have inputs/outputs on 2-4 sides usually and won't orient them for use in the case. Beyond that, it will not actually allow you to really connect anything further unless you started exploring the weird options like connecting graphics cards through express card/mini pci-e/m.2. breakouts to connect to the PCIe bus. Those options aren't that cheap or for the faint of heart, plus come with limitations.

Back
Top Bottom