Computer Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Nick-

Beta member
My computer is really old now (more than 4 years) and I'm thinking about upgrading it. I've never done this before so i may need a few tips.

First off, here are my computer specs:
Processor - Intel Pentium D 3.20GHz
Motherboard- MSI N1996
Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS
Power Supply - 400W
RAM - 1 X 1GB
Hard Drives - 2 X 74GB

The computer has mainly been used for internet use, gaming and a bit of photoshop and animation. Recently, I realised the computer is really slow at alt+tab. There is quite a major delay while playing a full screen game (such as CS:Source). Is it worth upgrading or should I just buy/build a new pc? I'm willing to spend $600.

I think with that budget you should get a whole new build.

You could reuse your hard drives (are those raptors?) and optical drive, and get the following:

Newegg.com - MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1333GB2G8-AG - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

w/ shipping that comes to just about $600.

No OS included there though. You could sell off your other parts and maybe get $100 for them and buy an OS.

edit: sorry, i meant this memory kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409

I like your proposed build but getting a new case with a 850W PSU (great deal btw). Isn't that an overkill on the PSU? and I could just use my old case.

The hard drives are Western Digital 74Gb Raptors (WD740GD).
Is that a bad thing?

I've never used an AMD processor before.
Is there any difference between AMD and Intel besides the name?

I like your proposed build but getting a new case with a 850W PSU (great deal btw). Isn't that an overkill on the PSU? and I could just use my old case.

The hard drives are Western Digital 74Gb Raptors (WD740GD).
Is that a bad thing?

I've never used an AMD processor before.
Is there any difference between AMD and Intel besides the name?

Well, let's put it this way...
Your Pentium D would get left in the dust by the current budget/low end AMD offerings.

I'm thinking about not going with a new PSU and stay with my 400W.

What do you think about these deals?

I changed the motherboard and RAM. It's about $500.

Where is a good place for me to sell off some of my parts?

A 400w PSU might struggle with that setup if it's a shoddy PSU.
(What brand/model is it?)

Also, I've heard a lot of bad things about MSI motherboards and support. I don't have personal experience with them, but you might want to take that into mind.
Biostar has a better motherboard reputation and is still a budget brand for the most part, maybe you can find a similar deal with one of their 790 boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom