Computer shops??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Computer shops???

Is it ok to take customed build computers to computer shops? Just wondering because (my frist build is having problems with VISTA and don't know why Internet explore is Slow and it even frezzes up and I have to reboot.

B.S. in Computer Science
Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Computer shops???

dude, fix it here

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

What do you mean by "okay"? I'm sure as long as you pay them they can help you but be wary of two things when dealing with computer shops (both local ones and large Geeksquad-type):
1. They're expensive. Whether it's a flat fee or the even worse hourly fee, it's going to cost you.
2. Be sure you know who you're dealing with. Not everyone has the level of expertise they want you to believe they do and (in my experience) many local owners are several years behind the curve in technology. Not everybody's an expert like Harper. Folks like that are few and far between.

Have you posted your issues on TF? I'm sure we can help you with your problems, too. Plus we're free!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Harper's experience?

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Angry Re: Computer shops???

well I hate to make a new topic but here is my problem. Everything comes on fine except Windows. The two LEDS come on everything and then it says that it can not open windows. Before all of this started, I was testing it on the net. Internet Explore 7 makes my computer start acting up and I was in the middle of downloading FireFox and it froze for three minutes, then unfroze for 2 seconds then froze again. After that, I rebooted and told me that I had a problem starting up Windows Vista. It had a option of me putting in the disk and installing all over again. As I was in the middle of installing it said that it couldn't finish installing and froze up. I got mad and disconnedted everything. I hope you guys, I or anybody else, (Like computer shop can solve this problems because I hate to spend another $1000 on a pre-built computer for school this fall.
B.S. in Computer Science
Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Angry Re: Computer shops???

I'll ask this question sometime in the afternoon when more people get on.
B.S. in Computer Science
Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

believe me or not but thats part of the process. When i did a clean install of vista and an upgrade install i was scared mad to see it had gotten stuck. So i left it alone for like about 20 mins and when i came back it had advanced. Moral of the story Windows Vista gets stuck while installing and it is also 100% slower than xp when installing. A good idea would be to leave it alone for about two to four hours depending on you're hardware and till probably be done by then.

As for the pc shops subject. I tend to come here for help and advice. Privately owned pc shops need to make money and they sometimes do a better job than geek squad, (which tends to overcharge things by a large amount) but you never know who is servicing you're pc unless you know them personally. Ive met some pc repair guys in my city and i know way more about pc's than them(thats saying something because i consider myself a novice compared to some people here in the forums). So try you're luck here whenever you have a problem and if that doesn't sole you're problem use pc shops as you're last resort and try to do some research on them first. Previous customers would know best, how they operate, pricing, and quality of work.
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
2x 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (running at 1.5 Gb/s)
Radeonģ X1950PRO AGP Xtreme Gamer Edition AGP x8
Logitech Z-5500 Digital
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels
VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2A 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler
SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM ATX12V (700 watts)
Logitech G15
LG Flatron Wide 24in
Razer Copperhead Green (First Edition)
AHS 615 Gaming Headset
Windows Vitsa Ultamite (running at 32-bit)
Old 06-24-2007, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I disagree that its part of the process. When I installed vista, both the 32 bit AND 64 bit didnt 'stick' like you say.
For your freeze problems, normally i'd say it sounds like you dont have much ram installed and/or too many apps running. however you seem to have plenty of ram, (even if vista does tend to drain resources).
What part of the installation did it freeze up on?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

It got stuck on step 2 and said something like, Windows can not finish installing and gave me a error code.
B.S. in Computer Science
Old 06-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Reformat the partition (low level if possible) and reinstall. If it gives you an error message, WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS. Having the error message will allow us to know exactly what's going on.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread