Computer shops???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio1080

In Runtime
Is it ok to take customed build computers to computer shops? Just wondering because (my frist build is having problems with VISTA and don't know why Internet explore is Slow and it even frezzes up and I have to reboot.

What do you mean by "okay"? I'm sure as long as you pay them they can help you but be wary of two things when dealing with computer shops (both local ones and large Geeksquad-type):
1. They're expensive. Whether it's a flat fee or the even worse hourly fee, it's going to cost you.
2. Be sure you know who you're dealing with. Not everyone has the level of expertise they want you to believe they do and (in my experience) many local owners are several years behind the curve in technology. Not everybody's an expert like Harper. Folks like that are few and far between.

Have you posted your issues on TF? I'm sure we can help you with your problems, too. Plus we're free! :)

well I hate to make a new topic but here is my problem. Everything comes on fine except Windows. The two LEDS come on everything and then it says that it can not open windows. Before all of this started, I was testing it on the net. Internet Explore 7 makes my computer start acting up and I was in the middle of downloading FireFox and it froze for three minutes, then unfroze for 2 seconds then froze again. After that, I rebooted and told me that I had a problem starting up Windows Vista. It had a option of me putting in the disk and installing all over again. As I was in the middle of installing it said that it couldn't finish installing and froze up. I got mad and disconnedted everything. I hope you guys, I or anybody else, (Like computer shop can solve this problems because I hate to spend another $1000 on a pre-built computer for school this fall.

believe me or not but thats part of the process. When i did a clean install of vista and an upgrade install i was scared mad to see it had gotten stuck. So i left it alone for like about 20 mins and when i came back it had advanced. Moral of the story Windows Vista gets stuck while installing and it is also 100% slower than xp when installing. A good idea would be to leave it alone for about two to four hours depending on you're hardware and till probably be done by then.

As for the pc shops subject. I tend to come here for help and advice. Privately owned pc shops need to make money and they sometimes do a better job than geek squad, (which tends to overcharge things by a large amount) but you never know who is servicing you're pc unless you know them personally. Ive met some pc repair guys in my city and i know way more about pc's than them(thats saying something because i consider myself a novice compared to some people here in the forums). So try you're luck here whenever you have a problem and if that doesn't sole you're problem use pc shops as you're last resort and try to do some research on them first. Previous customers would know best, how they operate, pricing, and quality of work.

I disagree that its part of the process. When I installed vista, both the 32 bit AND 64 bit didnt 'stick' like you say.
For your freeze problems, normally i'd say it sounds like you dont have much ram installed and/or too many apps running. however you seem to have plenty of ram, (even if vista does tend to drain resources).
What part of the installation did it freeze up on?

It got stuck on step 2 and said something like, Windows can not finish installing and gave me a error code.

Reformat the partition (low level if possible) and reinstall. If it gives you an error message, WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS. Having the error message will allow us to know exactly what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom