computer question?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default computer question??

okay so i am looking for a computer for my church for our powerpoint/video (post production). our budget os $2000. i'm running against the crowd with what computer should be purchased everyone wants to go with a dell xps 730x. and i don't!! i think that i can build something that is way better than that!!!!!!! so here is the link to what i've come up with. if someone has a better idea or something along the lines the only that is really needed is lots of hard drive space and multitasking power. also dual video outputs.

Wish List TigerDirect.com

i am aware that i left out an os but that doesn't matter right now.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: computer question??

What kind of sound system are you hooking it up to?

I would get a cheaper video card. Especially if it's post production.
Perhaps this one.
Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 Video Card - 512MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV 100236L at TigerDirect.com

I'd also try looking at Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! I think the prices are better in the US. I know Canadian TigerDirect is generally overpriced.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You can definitely build a better machine than the dell. Actually that barebones kit is a pretty good deal. We were looking at it yesterday. You could save a little by buying all the components yourself and cutting the ram down to 6gb. Only like $100 though. The gtx260 is probably more video card than you need for what the system is supposed to be doing. Of course if you need to "test" its capabilities with some games then it would be nice.

The only problem you have is it is the churches money and if they want a dell it is there choice. It would be a stupid choice but still theirs to make.

We will have to leave it in God's hands. Hopefully they will be blessed with the foresight to not buy a Dell.

In fact sometimes we will say "Don't go to Dell"

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yeah i am part of the technical team who is charge of sound on sundays and will be taking over video division and be replaced by somone else who is going to start doing sound. i am a total geek and i edit video at home and have made small films. i don't want to ever have the computer not be powerful enough. i am planning on spending every single penny of the budget on the computer. i hate manufactuer computers. but the person in charge of buying the computer is bullheaded and isn't open to anyone elses suggestions except his best freinds!!!! and he is stuck on dell!!! witch is so stupid. and the worst part is that i am going to be the one stuck using the stupid thing in the first place. and would you go xp or vista???
Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

vista most definitely. make sure it's 64 bit.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Vista home premium 64bit

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

I need a PC desktop with plug-in removable hard drives and an AMD 9950 cpu, My prefernce is for Startech caddie to be fitted in the PC

I had such a unit assembled by PCWorld, but I have had to ask for my money back!!!!

Closed Thread