Computer life span

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawizhacker

Daemon Poster
What is an avarage life span for a computer that runs 24/7 downloading movies and stuff?

cpu Socet A @ 1.05GHZ
ODD red mobo
128+256+256ram
7500 radeon
120GIG harddrive at 5400 RPM

Ive had it for about 2 years and the guy before me did the same thing and had it for a good 2 years also. When is it expected to die?

you say it's on 24/7? I'm impressed it's lasted as long as it has, especially with the constant downloads. From my experience the average computer lasts about 3 years before you start seeing major hardware problems. My system just hit the three year mark a few months ago, and what do ya know, needed a new hard drive. If it were me, I'd look into a second hard drive or some sort of networked drive and back up my data, that way you don't loose anything when your current hard drive dies. Like I said mine made it about three years, so yours is probably about ready to go itself, especially if you do alot of downloads. As for everything else, you can probably push them for about another year before their ready to kick the bucket, oh and the case will probably outlive everything else ;).

a computer if made with good parts can last a long time if it is taken care of, so dont keep it dusty it makes it warmer and reduces the lifespan.
hey some of the first computers out still work to this day so that tells you something.

ChakeShcos hard drives fail it happens i have taken hard drives out of computers that are 10 years old, as i said if made with good parts it will last.

I've noticed the cpu fan keeps failing now and then, the harddrive has the most iregular spining sound.

hmm that doesnt sound good. anyways, i think computers have the potential to last a verylong time ifyou take care of it.

PSU Failure = 8-10 years
CPU Failure = 5 years(intel/amd avg rated)
RAM Failure = 3-5 years (RDRAM RAMBUS)
LCD Failure = 6 years
CRT Failure = 10-15 years
OLD CRT Failure = 25-30 years
OLED Failure = 2 years
CMOS ROM Failure = 11 years
Magnetic Closed Failure(HD) = 3-5 years
Magnetic Open Failure(Floppy/Zip/Tape) = less than a year
Wiring Failure = 70 years
Motor failure = 3-5 years
Chassis Failure = ~100 years
Plastic Chassis Failure = ~1000 years
Windows Failure = 16 hours (ha ha ha)

This is complete hours converted to years.

I had to replace my ram recently because it had pages that were not returning at the 30mb mark.

Also, recently, I had to replace a 400gb seagate, but thats probably because it was the first model implementing magnetic tunneling head, and I put it in one of those cooling boxes thats like one big heat sink.....

Hard Drives....
Hard Drives do not like to be closed. You must not put them in one of those head sink boxes....front fans are fine.
I did. The temperature fell, but the hard drive failed.
Anything that makes a drive stuffy is bad for it. You may not know it, but the drive actually breaths because it needs a packet of air on which the heads sit on.

All in all, looks like the mb is the winner.
According to estimates, the mb will outlive the rest of the computer.

And here is my explaination about windows.
When software runs, it builds a reverse stack. So two stacks go to each other. Now, when software runs, it pushes onto the stack, sometime there is a nop. Nops can sometimes be exploited by hackers in assembly, but usually, they are to let the system hardware rest. Sometimes software is optimized beyond recommendation during compilation, or optimized by humans which can leave artifacts in the stack......or even when you try to close a program and try to close out dump prep(which tries to clean up the stack from a non responsive program).....
well basically......the stack, which is spanned between L0,L1,L1,L3,RAM,PAGE/SWAP and starts to get cluttered, and the only way to clear the stack is to cut power to clear the ram and the caches.....in essence, reboot.........hibernation may clear the stack, but im not sure to what degree windows saves the stack to the drive and restore it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom