Computer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohawks3547

Solid State Member
OK you guys may tell me I'm an idiot but I'm getting a new computer free over the internet off one of those advertisements. I want to be able to run games like battlefield 2 and Doom 3 and oblivion. I know that TONS of upgrading will be needed. here are my choices:

Cyberpower Xplorer
· Xplorer mid-tower case 420W w/window & LCD temperature display
· Black case w/silver face
· 12" Cold cathode neon light (blue)
· AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ w/ HyperTransport Technology
· 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR memory
· 80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 hard drive
· NVIDIA Gefroce 6200 w/TurboCache supporting 256MB 16X PCI express video card
· CD-RW 52X32X52
· Internal 6-in-1 flash media reader/writer
· High definition on-board 7.1 audio
· Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2

Dell Dimension 5100
· Color is arctic silver with alpine white panels
· Intel Pentium 4 processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz)
· 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz
· 40GB serial ATA hard drive (7200RPM)
· 48x CD-ROM drive
· Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2
· Monitor not included

Gateway 3310X W/ 17” CRT monitor
· Intel Celeron D Processor 335 (2.80GHz)
· 512MB PC 3200 400MHz DDR SDRAM(2-256MB modules)
· 80GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
· 48x/32x/48x CD-RW/DVD combo drive
· Microsoft Windows XP Home w/SP2
· Includes VX750 17"CRT Monitor

Sony VAIO VGC-RB49C
· Intel Celeron D processor 335J (2.80 GHz)
· 512 MB DDR-SDRAM (DDR400, 256 MBx2)
· 80GB hard drive
· DVD+R double layer DVD+-RW drive
· Intel graphics media accelerator 900
· Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
· Includes VAIO Creation Suite standard Photo, Music, Video software
· Monitor not included

Dell Dimension 4700 (possible W/ monitor

Mini Mac

Sony VAIO RB30C

HP Pavilion a730n Desktop PC

Sony® Vaio® Computer Part# PCV-RS600C
Intel Celeron Processor 2.60 GHz, 400MHz FSB 256MB DDR-SDRAM(DDR400)/120GB HD, DVD-ROM, CD-RW Sony CPD-G220R 17-inch CRT Monitor Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Sony's Vaio desktop computer comes with many great features to meet all your computing needs. Intel Celeron Processor at 2.6 GHz with 400MHz front side bus, 120 GB hard drive, DVD-Rom, CD-RW, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and a 17" CRT monitor

IBM® ThinkCentre A30 Desktop Computer Part# 819954U
Intel Celeron Processor (2.4GHz, 400 FSB) 15-inch IBM ThinkVision L150p Flat Panel Monitor 256MB DDR SDRAM Memory, Nonparity 40GB EIDE 7200rpm Hard Drive

Gateway® 3250SDesktop Computer Part# 3250S
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.66 GHz 256MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM, 80GB HD, 48x CD-RW 19-inch Color CRT Monitor (18-inch viewable) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

HP® DC7100 Convertible PC Part# DC7100
Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB HD 48x DVD-ROM/CDRW Combo Drive 15-Inch TFT Flat-Panel Monitor ATI Radeon x300 SE 64MB Video Card

Mac® Mini® with 20-inch Cinema Display Part#
1.42GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine 256MB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM, expandable to up to 1GB 20-Inch High-Resolution Cinema Display 80GB Ultra ATA hard disk drive

Gateway® 7200X Desktop Computer Part# 1008274
Pentium 4 3.2 GHz, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 250GB HD 16x DVD Writer and 16x DVD-ROM Drive 17-Inch TFT Flat-Panel Monitor ATI Radeon X600XT SE 128MB Video Card

I know that these ads do indeed work. I have several friends who have used them. I know that it takes time and it would probably be easier to just save some money. I know that these computers are not that great. So please don't just post to tell me these things

I'm pretty sure #1, #13 and #14 are the best three.
They will all need new graphics card and more ram right?

If you could tell me which pieces (If any) on these computers will run new games, which comp is the best and why . Remember if a part would need upgrading on all of them than that part shouldn't be taken into acount for saying which is best (since the graphicscards will (probably) need an upgrade it doesn't matter which of those I get with the computer.

#13 Cannot run games, it's a MAC.

#1 seems like your best bet.

And before I end this post, your an idiot for beliving your getting stuff for free. Prisim scams are illegal too, if you dont know.

I know.

Now come on man even if you think I'm an idiot you could at least give some computer advise. Please I know nothing about computers and you guys do. I'm looking to you for help.

Okie Dokie. I would say #1 or #14, drop the rest easy.

Depending on what you're doing, this could be iffy. Notice the #14 is more media then games, and vice versa for #1.

If you get number one, I would reccomend:
More memory, possibly sell that stick and get a matched pair of 512s.
Get a DVD-RW drive, you'll need at least a DVD reader for most games comming out.
You should consider replacing that graphics card. It isn't up to par with the rest of the system, and if you sell it immediatly after you get it, you may get some okay cash for it. Replace it with a 6600GT/6800/6800GT.

If you go with 14, i reccomend:
More ram, like I said above.
The video card is an evil one, I would not stick with it, and it is underpar of the 6200 if you are curious in comparison. Look at what I recommended for a video card above.

Good luck!

1. Look at number 12. If I'm replacing the GC and getting more ram no matter what wouldn't I want to go with it because it has a P4 3.4GHz?

2. How does the Cyberpowers processor compare with the P4's of #14 and #12

3. How do the motherboars of #12 #14 and #1 compare?

4. How do the sound capabilties of #12 #14 and #1 compare?

5. Are all three compatible for upgrading?

6. How do the cooling systems of #12 #14 and #1 compare?

7. How does the RAM (type not amout) of #12 #14 and #1 compare?

8. What is the "data bus speed" and does it matter a whole bunch?

9. Are there any other big differences between the three?

10. Should I get a CRT or LCD monitor?

11. What other kind of thing should I look for in a monitor

12. Are there ant other questions I should be asking

Gateway Specs

Specs for the Cyberpower

EDIT: On second viewing this is possibly not the same exact comp. But its probably about the same. Does anyone know where I can get detialed specs on the "cyberpower xplorer"?

more specs for the HP

Specs for the HP

I'm not sure which of those two links is the right one for the HP but they look about the same.

EDIT:I wouldn't get it from here because I can only hanlde one of these things but would this monitor work well for games?

1. You going to get more power from the 3000+ chip in #1 if your going to be gameing. AMD chips have always been the better choice when it comes to that.

2. Same as above.

3. None of the Ad's you posted mention what motherboard's are in the system, but I would assume most of them are generic brands. I don't think you can expect to find a top of the line board in any of the systems.

4. #1 does mention that it has on-board 7.1 sound. Which is fine, no need to make any changes there. It doesn't mention the sound on the other 2 systems, but I would assume their on-board as well.

5. As far as them being compatable for upgrading, I don't know. Some manufacturer's create propriatary parts specific to their systems. Which means the only way you can upgrade the system, is by going directly through them, which sucks. I think #1 is your best bet in that area. I don't think I would trust HP or Gateway in that area, but then again I have never owned an HP or a Gateway, and I don't know how they build their systems, and I only make this assumption based on what I have heard from other people. Stick with #1.

6. Cooling is not mentioned in any of the systems. They should be fine. You can always easily add case fans.

7. The RAM manufacters are not mentioned in any system, though you could expect it to be generic as well.

8. I don't know what you mean by "Data Bus Speed" , sorry can't help you there.

9. #1 is your best bet for a decent gaming system, and will probley be the most trouble free when it comes to upgrades, and gaming.

10. Depends, if your really want your gaming experience to be good, and you have the money to spend, get a good LCD monitor. Don't settle for a cheap, on sale Wal-Mart LCD, unless it doesn't matter to you much. (I say that cause I bought my "Cheap", "On-Sale" monitor at Staples :). A nice 19" Flat Screen CRT would be a good choice as well, you get great quality, without a huge blow to the wallet.

11. If your thinking LCD, your going to want to look at the response time, the lower it is the better. I would say anything 20ms or lower, and you should be in good shape, but people can correct me if im wrong.

12. I can't think of any off hand, but I am sure people know a few you should be asking. Good Luck

*EDIT* I didn't see the the additional specs you posted, so some of my information may be a little off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom