Computer freezing - think i need a new power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenguard10

Solid State Member
Hi all, i've recently put a graphics card in my computer (yes, i didn't have one at all before) so that i could play games (not that heavy - just wow and Modern Warfare 2).

Since i put it in, my computer has started freezing.

This makes no sense to me, as i was running these games with on board graphics not long ago, so really it should be easier to handle now?

Only thing i can think could be the problem is maybe the power supply is inadequate, or just too old (the fan in it is really loud so i think it might be).

Ill post my PC specs incase that helps;
-Vista
-2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)
-Board: Intel Corporation D915GAG AAC64123-302
Serial Number: BQAG44634215
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. EV91510A.86A.0213.2004.0609.1722 06/09/2004
-2560 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'J6G1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'J6G2' has 512 MB
Slot 'J6H1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'J6H2' is Empty
-NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT [Display adapter]
-Thermal Master TM-350-PMSR (350W Power Supply)

Also, my graphics card DOES have the latest drivers, and worked fine in my other computer.

Does anyone know from that if my Power Supply is in need of an update?
I really don't want to spend money getting a new one until i know that it will actually FIX my computer.

Many thanks in advance.

The 8500 GT requiers 300W, so you should be good on the PSU as far as wattage goes.

Did you uninstall the drivers for your onboard graphics? Does the onboard need to be disabled in the BIOS?

Im not sure as far as the remants of the onboard goes, When i go into device manager the only Display Adapter listed is my 8500GT.

How would i go about disabling my onboard, or uninstalling it's drivers.

thanks for your time

Uninstall the drivers for your video card, shut down the computer, remove the card, and boot back with onboard. Repeat the process for the nboard, then reinstall the card and boot. Install the drivers for the card.

Check the BIOS, too. Some boards allocate memory tot he onboard through the BIOS. As long as it has memory allocated to it the onboard will be active. Some boards will have an on/off selection for the onboard. (My board does not have onboard so I don't have to worry with that. ;) )

Thanks heaps, will try soon and get back to you.

Ok i've uninstalled the Onboard and have my graphics card back in on the problematic computer, im still in setup though incase it automatically installs the drivers for the onboard again.

How do i do this "BIOS" stuff, i don't really know what it is - is it in setup?

The BIOS is accessed before windows starts up.. With my computer, I have to hit delete right after i get the manufactuers screen.

Usually you see a quick prompt on which key to hit when the computer boots up.

Uh, well... I'm not really sure and i can't figure out how. I think its Intel - but i'm not really sure if they even make motherboards :S

found this in my BIOS Setup: EV91510A.86A.0213 hope that helps.

Hit F2 during bootup to access the BIOS. You posted your motherboard in the original post, Intel D915GAG AAC64123-302.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom