Computer CPU Processor Question - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Computer CPU Processor Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithryndil View Post
Oh...And there is no way to unlock the motherboard from that, aside from buying a new motherboard?
Affirmative.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

nope the overclocking options generally arnt locked they'er just not there

Old 09-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #43 (permalink)
True Techie

However, if I were to buy a motherboard off of Newegg or some other site, then would those options be there? I would also need to reinstall Windows, not to mention the added cost of the motherboard. I think I will go with either the Opteron 175 or 180. I know it's not the best bang for the buck, but considering I won't be able to overclock, the extra price will probably be worth it.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
However, if I were to buy a motherboard off of Newegg or some other site, then would those options be there?
Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithryndil
I would also need to reinstall Windows, not to mention the added cost of the motherboard. I think I will go with either the Opteron 175 or 180. I know it's not the best bang for the buck, but considering I won't be able to overclock, the extra price will probably be worth it.
If you're looking into a motherboard that can overclock, why not get the Opetron 165? That will save you some money.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #45 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I'd prefer to stay away from getting a new motherboard simply because I don't know anyone with Windows XP Media Edition nor do I want to spend the money to buy it. I am not trying to be picky, but when money is an issue, you tend to have to limit what you buy yourself. And, if I were to overclock the processor, wouldn't that shorten it's life? I don't know what the average life expectancy of a processor is.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I'd prefer to stay away from getting a new motherboard simply because I don't know anyone with Windows XP Media Edition nor do I want to spend the money to buy it. I am not trying to be picky, but when money is an issue, you tend to have to limit what you buy yourself. And, if I were to overclock the processor, wouldn't that shorten it's life? I don't know what the average life expectancy of a processor is.
The average lifespan of a CPU is about 10 years. Overclocking takes off barely 1-2 years. And I doubt you'll be using the same CPU for more than 5 years. So really, it's no big deal. Just about everyone here, overclocks.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #47 (permalink)
True Techie

That makes since. Well this wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have to reinstall Windows. Not to mention I am not sure what a good motherboard would be for my situation. And then if I do get a motherboard why not get an AM2 mother board and go with a processor for that? Aside from price that is. It's slightly frustrating that my computer didn't come with a Windows CD. I understand why they do that, to force people to buy a CD and spend more money.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom

ever considered linux? Ubuntu?
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
Old 09-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #49 (permalink)
True Techie

Well...I suppose I have bad news for myself. After making sure what socket type I have, it appears I can't get any of the Opteron processors. Everest Home Edition says I have a socket 754...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

wow... thats even worse... rofl...

what you do now... stick with what you have... and rebuild once you get more cash...

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread