Computer CPU Processor Question - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Computer CPU Processor Question

If you change from 939 to AM2 you will need to get DDR2 RAM

6600GT
CPU-Z Validator
Old 09-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gapl View Post
Who said that? That Antec True Power Trio is compatible with an AM2 system.
actually that was me.... but i didn't say that an Antec True Power Trio is compatible with an AM2 system... but i think i worded that horribly... Emachines uses diferent types of cases and PSUs, which means he can't necessarily get the PSU in the case or power up the Emachines board... cuz its different... man i gotta work on my explanations...

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 09-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
actually that was me.... but i didn't say that an Antec True Power Trio is compatible with an AM2 system... but i think i worded that horribly... Emachines uses diferent types of cases and PSUs, which means he can't necessarily get the PSU in the case or power up the Emachines board... cuz its different... man i gotta work on my explanations...
Perhaps, but I have already installed the Antec PSU in the case and am running my computer off of it. And...someone said that if I upgrade to a AM2 system that I would need new RAM...not that I doubt that, I just would like another opinion. My main reason for upgrading this computer is to stay away from Vista...but as the things keep piling up...getting a new computer is becoming the best bet.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithryndil View Post
Perhaps, but I have already installed the Antec PSU in the case and am running my computer off of it. And...someone said that if I upgrade to a AM2 system that I would need new RAM...not that I doubt that, I just would like another opinion. My main reason for upgrading this computer is to stay away from Vista...but as the things keep piling up...getting a new computer is becoming the best bet.
but AM2 does require ddr2 RAM... all AM2 Board only have support for ddr2 memory... and your Emachines has ddr 400... which is old... (well not as old as ddr 266 hehehe)
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 09-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Camshaft is correct. You do need to upgrade the RAM to DDR2, to get an AM2 system.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 09-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok thank you. Well...since there is a lot I would need to do to upgrade, I am better off getting a new computer when I can. I suppose the only other thing to ask is: Is there any chance of getting a new computer with Windows XP on it and not Windows Vista?
Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok thank you. Well...since there is a lot I would need to do to upgrade, I am better off getting a new computer when I can. I suppose the only other thing to ask is: Is there any chance of getting a new computer with Windows XP on it and not Windows Vista?
ya some computers you can buy with XP... but why not build your own.. its not that hard... plus you choose what you want in it and such... and teh tech forums community can assist you if necessary

EDIT: Build Your Own Computer : Step-by-Step Guide even tho the guy spammed it so much... its pretty good...

Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

or vista if your system can run it but if you dont like fixing ur computer countless number of ties stick with XP
Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #29 (permalink)
True Techie

Well, I suppose the only thing holding me back is buying the software for the computer and buying Windows Xp for the computer. I don't think I'd have too much difficulty actually putting one together, the only thing holding me back is getting it to run. Like I said, putting XP on the computer and all the other software. I don't have that software so it would be an added expense. Not to mention I currently don't have the money required to buy or build a computer. The most I could spend at the moment on anything computer related is $200.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I suppose the only thing holding me back is buying the software for the computer and buying Windows Xp for the computer. I don't think I'd have too much difficulty actually putting one together, the only thing holding me back is getting it to run. Like I said, putting XP on the computer and all the other software. I don't have that software so it would be an added expense. Not to mention I currently don't have the money required to buy or build a computer. The most I could spend at the moment on anything computer related is $200.
oh i c... get some extra cash then... or just upgrade to an Opteron 165 on your current system then... and get extra RAM if needed... (and do u have a good video card)

Closed Thread