Computer CPU Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
I hope that this hasn't been asked before and I apologize if it has. I have a couple questions regarding my computer and upgrading my processor. Now, since I know that things need to be compatible, I would prefer to find out if the cpu processor that I would like to buy to upgrade my computer with is compatible with my computer. The processors I am looking at are:

Processor 1
Processor 2
Processor 3
Processor 4
Processor 5

I would prefer not to spend more than $180 on a processor. I was also wonder if my power supply will be adequate to power the processors. The video card I am using is a GeForce 6800 GS. I can't remember the exact video card. If you need the exact video card, then I will try to find it. I am currently using this computer. Thank you for your help.

I hope that this hasn't been asked before and I apologize if it has. I have a couple questions regarding my computer and upgrading my processor. Now, since I know that things need to be compatible, I would prefer to find out if the cpu processor that I would like to buy to upgrade my computer with is compatible with my computer. The processors I am looking at are:

Processor 1
Processor 2
Processor 3
Processor 4
Processor 5

I would prefer not to spend more than $180 on a processor. I was also wonder if my power supply will be adequate to power the processors. The video card I am using is a GeForce 6800 GS. I can't remember the exact video card. If you need the exact video card, then I will try to find it. I am currently using this computer. Thank you for your help.

you can't upgrade to those... because your socket is 939.. the ones your looking at are Socket AM2... so choose one of the following...

1. Upgrade to the best Socket 939 (one of the best) there is... Opteron 165 (btw you can't use a diff PSU, vendors use proprietory PSU's which are diff from the ones you and I buy)
2. Buy a New System Completely...

If I got a compatible motherboard, would I be able to use one of the aforementioned processors? And what do you mean about the power supply? I apologize if this is a dumb question.

^ its not... what Dell and other companies do they use a different type of PSU (forget the type) and if you do get a different board, u'd have to get a new PSU to fit power it up... but my recommendation.. sell this one... and start fresh...

Well...that sucks. So essentially if I got a different motherboard I would need a different PSU that's compatible with that motherboard to power it. In addition to that I would still need/want the better processor. It's pretty much a better idea to just get a new computer as it might be cheaper. Is that pretty much the situation?

Well...that sucks. So essentially if I got a different motherboard I would need a different PSU that's compatible with that motherboard to power it. In addition to that I would still need/want the better processor. It's pretty much a better idea to just get a new computer as it might be cheaper. Is that pretty much the situation?

pretty much dude... thats why your better of building.. so u can upgrade in the future...

Yea well at the time I didn't necessarily have the knowledge to build a computer. I still probably don't now, but I am better off now. This is precisely why I ask these types of questions. To learn more about computers and their nuances and to ensure that whatever I buy isn't going to be a hassle and perhaps a waste of time and effort. If I had just bought a new processor without asking then I would soon find out that it wouldn't work. The socket thing makes sense, however, the PSU not working with the different motherboard doesn't necessarily make sense, but, I am not a computer expert.

The PSU that comes with a pre-built computer usually won't work if you swap your motherboards. Due to the new motherboard using more power then the factory one, you'll need to get a new PSU to power everything up.

Ok, that makes since, however the PSU I currently have in my computer did not come with my computer. I bought it after the fact, which is why I am slightly frustrated that it won't work with a new motherboard that can support Socket AM2 processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom