computer cannot boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaximov

Solid State Member
I have just built my first computer
MB EG31MF-S2 - G31/ ICH7 (integrated graphic card)
INTEL Pentium Dual-Core E5200
SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, SATA II

I problem i am experiencing this problem. I want to install Windows now, when i put the windows cd and start computer it automatically boots from it, it installs some drivers...., then it automatically restarts but this time it stucks on "Verifying DMI Pool Data". I googled a little bit and some people advice when windows setup starts, i should press F6 and install driver for SATA(shouldn't SATA work without installing another driver as mono supports SATA?). But because i don't have floppy disk anymore and also no drivers in floppy disk came with the mobo, i put my older PATA hard drive and wanted to put windows on it this time i don't get stucked with "Verifying DMI Pool Data" but there is error "NTLDR is missing"

any thoughts?

what version of windows are you installing? if it's xp, it has to be the one with sp2 or it won't install with just a sata hd.

On many older boards the need was there for a driver disk for seeing Windows installed on a sata drive simply due to the installer not being able to see the drive without them copied and loaded by the installer first. Another option was to use the "press S for special devices option" seen on the following screen and choosing the chipset closest to the one actually on the board. That was a little more common for Sata I type drives however.

For seeing Windows on the sata drive the software cd for the board should see a list of utilities or you can download the driver set from the manufacturer's support site along with the disk creation tool. The ntldr missing error is likely due to not seeing all setup files copied over to the drive by the installer.

Your optical drive if not the disk itself may need a lens cleaner. Inspect the XP cd itself for scraches, finger smudges. Another thing to look at would be the optical drive itself or the data cable. Often the cables themselves(grey flat ribbon type) are not worth the powder to blast them into orbit.

then you bios is probably not set up correctly. i just reinstalled windows sp2 on a machine with a sata drive yesterday and it worked fine.

Just being an SP2 disk never guarantees that Windows will go right on a sata. That depends on the chipset seen on the board as far as onboard sata controllers.

When installing XP SP2 on the last build here seeing a Socket 939 board a driver floppy was a must have in order to use the F6 option. On the next build now used with a newer nForce chipset the XP installer automatically detects and copies the setup files right to the drive without any help needed on the newer AM2 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom