Computer Build Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrettman

Baseband Member
Hi

A couple of my mates are putting together a new pc and have ran into difficulties. We would be very grateful for some assistance. As relative novices the solution may be obvious but here goes anyway. These are the parts

LiteOn SOHW-1673S-02C 16x16x DVD+/-RW Internal Drive with 4x Dual Layer - Beige
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007QS2O8/ref=br_cecns_1/202-1226116-8190255

Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 CAS3 (CT12864Z40B) (MY-030-CR)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Crucial_Value.html

HD is a 200gb Western Digital Caviar special edition
Sata- I don't have the link but it is also from overclockers website

Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250GB (Socket 939) Motherboard (MB-036-GI)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Gigabyte_Socket_939.html

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3000BPBOX) (CP-117-AM)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939_cpus.html

Graphics are Leadtek Geforce 6800gt

case
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=47691&doy=17m8

I hope i have not left anything out....

The Problem

The machine is assembled and all components are detected in the bios according to what I have been told. Next they try to install windows XP but this is where we come unstuck because for some perplexing reason it will not install in fact it doesn't appear that the drive wants to read the disk. The windows disks do work in another machine

My thoughts are that
1. problem with dvd drive
2. problem with sata hard drive
3. things might not be plugged in correctly or something
4. some kind of compatability issue between parts

please appreciate that we are relative novices here. thanks if you can help

I dont think you would look over something like this but the boot order?You said every thing is seen in the bios so the connections are fine.ok do you have mare than one cd drive maybe it is the jumper settings.
hope that helps.

All advice welcome so thank you matt2m.

I don't think that the boot order was overlooked but as so often with these things I will assume that the mistake is a basic one. That will be top of the checklist when I get the chance tomorrow to look at the machine for myself although I do assume that they did that yes

I have been informed by my mate speaking on msn who's pc we are building that they managed to get the western digital hard drive recognised but there was simply no luck in booting it. Perhaps we are a bit inexperienced using an sata hdd.

Yea and also if they have a 6800GT witha a 400watt psu stock from that case it will not cut it too, you need a better one tell themm to get a 450watt but from aa beter company.
EDIT* had to take everythign off as you jsut posted ok well there should have been a floppy disk for that data hdd right well this is how you install it. BUt first does the windows cd boot as all or no? Ifit does do it when it says install put that floppy in for the sata hdd so it see it and installs the software thats maybe y windows is not installing on the hdd and given you problems. OR when the computer boots change it to floppy first and in stall the sata hdd software.

Cheers dark sniper- we will look at what you suggest

As for the power supply at least if 400w works the setup for a while we can upgrade later. Maybe 550w?

ytea a 550watt would be your best bet but from a good company. Casue i think the 6800GT sucks like 350 watts from the psu or more thats y i said get a new one as it mit also be that psu is to weak for that system. and try the sata software as that mit jsut be your problem ;)

Forgive my ignorance but I have only had ide hard drives in the past. So with Sata apart from installing the software is there anything else at all different about the setup from the setup of an ide drive. I realise they plug in a different part of the motherboard but apart from that are there any other important factors to consider?

no its jsut taht sata driver you must install in order for it to work. I dont have a sata hdd, so i jsut know thats what you have to do casue i builded a friends computer that had sata hdd in them.

This is interesting as my mate has just told me that nothing came with the hard drive but the drive itself- although it was apparently recognised in the bios as being connected perhaps we have not installed it properly. I appreciate the advice. So I am just speculating here but perhaps we need to download and install something for it to work or perhaps they should have supplied a disk with the HDD

As you say you built a mates computer with sata hard drive can i just clarify...

when do you put in the hard drive install disk. Is that before you put in your windows disks. Ie you install the HDD first by putting in the driver disk then you proceed with your install of windows? correct? If so I have a feeling that we just plugged in the HDD and then went straight to installing windows

EDIT I just looked at where you edited the post above for install help- much appreciated man

eya your right about the install part. DID he buy that hdd OEM casue that how it sounds and if so then thats y he dosnt have th driver he is going to have to look it up and download it on another computer and put it to a floppy which hat website should tell him or her how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom