Computer Build - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Default Re: Computer Build

Yes it does mean in theory you can put 16gb 4x4gb of ram in however you wouldn't need that unless your dealing with massive CAD designs on an industrial scale. Have a look through the case section on decide on a few cases say a top 5 and we will then tell you which is best your the one whom has to live with it. I like the lian li and silverstone cases which are modern and minimalist many others like the gamer cases with more fans and lights then a circus. One main flaw many seem to have missed is the lack of video ability a 8500gt should be good like this - EVGA 256-P2-N749-LR GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Also I think Husseins numbers are a tad off that seems like not very much computer for $800 off the top of my head costs could be reduced with changing the mobo (if he/she isn't overclocking) and Psu which is completely over the top 400W Antec truepower should be fine

Originally Posted by philbar71 View Post
well you said you like to multi task so the q6600 is a better choice then the e8500. but both will be fine. the diff would only be seen in games.
Originally Posted by DoubleL View Post
Yeah I know nothing of overclocking. I am a beginner in this and I bought the Dell just to get on the internet. So which case you guys think i should go with?
No offence to the original poster but as expected he/she thinks: internet, media player, word documents and the occasional virus scan all open at the same time warrants as multi-tasking. A Q6600 is not needed and its 2.4ghz stock speed would be much slower then the E8500's stock speed in almost all tasks except the very latest games and Cad/ media design work which are optimised for multi-core support.

Originally Posted by thirdshiftdj View Post
your going to pay $30 more for 3.16ghz compared to 3.00ghz??? Okay that sounds like a good idea
Personally no I wouldn't hence why I also added that a E8300 would be better if he was willing to learn how to overclock. It would be a worthy speed increase if he was running at exclusively stock speeds (atleast in the uk ir would 23 would buy you 6 pints personally I think the 0.16ghz is a better investment although it is close)

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Computer Build

Thanks guys and/or girls for all the help

Closed Thread