Computer Build - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Computer Build

I am wanting to build my first computer. I have only bought Dell's in the past and after some research and a few friends having their own built, I am interested in building my own. I am willing to spend $600-800 on it. This is not going to be a gaming pc. Will be used mainly for blackboarding in college and general internet browsing. Would like it to be fast and able to multitask. Can you guys build me one? I have been looking at new egg and don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: Computer Build

The Q6600 is that fast especially with the latest and I doubt the Original Poster is an overclocker having being used dells which have locked bioses normally.

Get this processor instead it will be alot faster even though its dual core instead of quad
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
If your intrigued by overclocking and think it may be nice to be able to have a faster pc without spending extra money then the E8300 would be better.

This compound is better then arctic silver
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Personally don't like that case as its ugly and your the one whom has to live with it if you find a case that you like post back here and we will go through the nitty details and tell you if its good enough.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases How is this one?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

Just pick up an E8400 for $150
Old 11-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdshiftdj View Post
Just pick up an E8400 for $150
not if he isn't going to overclock then he may aswell pay more for the stock clock, we are enthusiasts I assume this is someone who wants a no fuss computing experience hence why he went with a ready made dell. Even though going with a dell greatly reduced his cashflow and potential for best performance per buck
Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I know nothing of overclocking. I am a beginner in this and I bought the Dell just to get on the internet. So which case you guys think i should go with?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

well you said you like to multi task so the q6600 is a better choice then the e8500. but both will be fine. the diff would only be seen in games.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
not if he isn't going to overclock then he may aswell pay more for the stock clock, we are enthusiasts I assume this is someone who wants a no fuss computing experience hence why he went with a ready made dell. Even though going with a dell greatly reduced his cashflow and potential for best performance per buck
your going to pay $30 more for 3.16ghz compared to 3.00ghz??? Okay that sounds like a good idea
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So which case should i buy? And on the MOBO, it says 4x240 pin. Does this mean I can put 4-2gig memory cards in it? Sorry for being so ignorant but I am wanting to learn

Closed Thread