Comparing 2 builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
If you guys had the choice of below 2 builds @ just about similar price (maybe 250 difference). which would u choose? and why?

Build 1.
-Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition Processor x6800 2.93 GHz
-Asus P5w DH Deluxe w/ WiFi Motherboard
-2Gb DDR2 6400 Kingston Ram
-ATI Radeon X1950 Crossfire Edition Video Card
-Western Digital 320Gb Sata Hard Drive
-NZXT Zero External Case
-600 Watt SLI Certified EnerMax NoiseTaker 2 Power Supply
-MadDog 16x DVD + R DVD Burner
-NEC 1.44 Floppy Drive

Build 3.
-Asus P5N32-SLI Premium Wi-Fi AP Motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
-Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler
-4GB of Kingston HyperX PC2-8500 CL5 Ram – 4 DIMMs
-CoolerMaster Mystique brushed aluminum case
-Nexus 120mm rear case fan
-PowerTek F5 750 Watt power supply
-ATI Radeon X1650 XT PCIe video adapter with 256MB RAM
-1 Lite On LH-20A1H dual layer Lightscribe DVD burner
-1 Plextor PX 755SA SATA dual layer DVD burner
-2 Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA hard drives, spinning at 10,000 RPMs, in a RAID 0 array (striping) and configured with three partitions for the Operating System, Swap File and Programs Files
-1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB SATA hard drive, configured with one partition for Data Files
-Hewlett Packard 16-in-1 memory card reader

-Edit: typed wrong # on poll, and only mods can edit polls, so changing build # in post ;)

The first build is better, because it would perform better for gaming. The second build has too much ram, too much of the power supply, and a weaker video card.

build # 1... but switch cpu to 6700 and overclock it (easily) past the 6800.
why?
its 500 dollars cheaper, performs just as well (i think it overclocks even better), and you can get a 8800gtx video card instead of the x1950, cos 8800gtx owns right now.
and still have money left over for tacos.
with these adjustments that rig will rule with an iron fist.

b1gapl said:
The first build is better, because it would perform better for gaming. The second build has too much ram, too much of the power supply, and a weaker video card.

definately agreed.....the x1650xt wont do justice to the E6700

so i pick the first build.

I agree, get build 1 with the 6700 or even 6600, and OC it... Use the extra money to get yourself a GTX, or an R600 card when they come out.

All in all, it ultimatly depends on what you will use this computer for... If it is going to be a 'student PC' for research on the web, creating documents, listening to music, email, etc. etc. and very little gaming, you would be even better off with an E6300 and the X1650XT card.... and you would save a BUNDLE too.

I agree with ethereal and nagasama on getting the e6700, then overclocking it pass the x6800 speeds....then use the extra $500 to get an 8800GTX. To save yourself more money, you can also get the e6600 instead. It still overclocks past the x6800.

i voted for the second but i would modify it as the other posters have said - less ram and a better vid card. you could even go with the e6600 and use the extra money to get a mobo with a 680i chipset (asus p5n32-e sli). I really like the hard drive set up of the second build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom