Compaq Evo Desktop... please help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Compaq Evo Desktop... please help

This is my first post... so please forgive me if it is a stupid question. I recently purchased a Compaq Evo Ultraslim Desktop on ebay. I cannot for the life of me figure out which Compaq Evo model I puchased. It is infront of me... but am not sure how to determine the exact model. It did not come with an OS or an HDD. I've installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and KnoppMyth, but would like to upgrade (if possible) the USB 1.1 ports to 2.0. But to do that I would need to first figure out the model. I think that it has a 1.3GHZ processor and it uses pc133 memory. It came with 256mb ram total, and it looks like it can be upgraded to 512mb of ram ( but I'm not entirely sure. This link has an image that is very similar to the box that I am talking about...

Cpu compaq evo d51u como nueva -

Can someone please explain how I can figure out the model based on either the markings on the PC or based on something that's inside of the box?

Thanks in advance,

Old 06-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Compaq Evo Desktop... please help

Check out this link:
IT Resource Center forums - Compaq Evo model #

It may have some fruitful advice for how you can find out what type of computer you have based on model numbers, since some are unique to the computer itself.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to helix2301

There should be a label on the PC with Serial Number / Product Number and Model somewhere on the PC it self.
HP Pro, A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCTS
Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

You don't need to know the model number to add USB 2.0 ports. If there's a free PCI slot, install a USB 2.0 card. Crucial should be able to run a scan to determine how much memory is installed and what the maximum is the system supports.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You will need to buy a separate usb 2.0 pci card, individual ports can't just be upgraded. But these cards run only like $10 on Newegg. Like Helix said, Crucial should be able to scan your computer easily and find out what is installed and can be upgraded as far as memory. You don't need the model # to do all that.

The model # and serial # should be located on a sticker usually on the back of the case.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom

Originally Posted by jorsoft03 View Post
The model # and serial # should be located on a sticker usually on the back of the case.
Its usually near the rear top of the case on either or side. Its a slightly greenish white 9 out of 10 times.

Im not sure why you would need that though..

Just get a USB 2.0 PCI Card for your computer and you can have geek squad install it for arse loads of money or you can do it yourself which would probably be the better choice, it's just easier.

Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
That was an epic forum speech, Doom is tech-forums very own Martin Luther King.
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
Closed Thread