Comp for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckop11

In Runtime
So my buddy is getting tired of playing WoW on a crappy laptop.(really its awful) and he asked if maybe i could build him one/show him how to build one.

Ive spent a little time putting a build together but id like some other suggestions too =)

He needs -
everything but a mouse/keyboard (He wants a monitor) pref 1080

The budget is 400-600 he is able to go higher if needed. but would like to keep it cheap as he can.

He will be using it for basically World of Warcraft.and web browsing and such. nothing to hardcore but he does want good fps/high res/high quality while he plays.

I'm having trouble getting it down to 600 myself with a new monitor.. he does want the computer to last a couple years.
He does have a monitor he can use if i cant fit one into the budget. but he would rather have a new bigger one.

so all help is appreciated. Thanks

For a complete build from scratch, I think the budget is too low. That's IF he wants high FPS and wants it to last for a couple years. A 1080P monitor is definitely going to be pushing the budget. And you have to remember shipping.

This is a personal build I've made into a wish list, excluding the monitor which I added since your friend wants 1080P capabilities, case, and video card. I'm trying to save money to buy it since my current setup is funky and having all sorts of small problems.

Case (You don't have to get this one, as long as it supports whatever motherboard you get):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Mobo & CPU Combo /w $15 Rebate:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Memory:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

HDD:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Monitor:
Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers

Video Card (You don't have to get something this nice):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

Total still comes to $881.91 without shipping. Changes to $682.91 without the monitor.

Thats pretty close to what i had thrown in my cart. i'm thinking i would get a 500gb hdd and a HD5770 1gb or something. that should knock off like $100.

Also whats a good PSU?? i was tinking something like This ??

that corsair is a great psu.

if you go and look at previous threads, im sure you can find one that specifies a budget in the range you are looking for. a dual core cpu is probably sufficient.

Thats pretty close to what i had thrown in my cart. i'm thinking i would get a 500gb hdd and a HD5770 1gb or something. that should knock off like $100.

Also whats a good PSU?? i was tinking something like This ??

Sorry about that. I forgot I was re-using my PSU and forgot to add one in for you. Downgrading HDD sizes and video cards is perfectly fine. WoW doesn't require a whole lot.

Corsair is a good brand. I have a 700W OCZ that they are surprisingly still selling even after a little over a year:
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
^ It's the same price and literally almost the same as the one you listed, except it's 700W instead of 550W and a few small details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom