comp formated now im screwed - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

With out even discussing the legal issues here, I can't believe this dude even tried to use a RECOVERY cd to install an OS on a different computer. It just defies logic. Very stupid.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Just because we try to help you and we abide by the law (by we I mean the people on the forums not necessarily me) doesn't mean you have to get all pissy.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce

Heh, wow... I'm not having any problems but I wanted to chime in here cause I think I just did a similar thing...

The upstairs Dell came with Windows XP. The actual disc isn't labeled as recovery, it's labeled Windows XP, for distribution with only a Dell computer. There are separate CDs for the recovery portion of it. My Gateway came with Windows ME which is built into the recovery discs.

I put the recovery discs in, installed Windows ME, then put the Dell's copy of Windows XP in and installed it. I didn't have any problems besides the fact the SP2 attachment I downloaded off of the Windows site doesn't seem to work.

So, did I just do something illegal as the original poster did? If so, woops.

btw - If I'd buy a new version of XP, does it come with SP2 preloaded? There's something about these service packs I can't seem to DL properly.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I don't think it comes preloaded, but you can order the CD for free off the microsoft website.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

If we break the law on the forums, the forums get shut down and that's the way it is.

You can go find somewhere else to help you, because I am sure nobody will here, and if someone does, think twice about it.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Closed. Read the rules miniminman...aside from the legal aspect, please be more polite.

Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Closed Thread