CMOS Battery for Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a bit of research and 1st off it does 6 beeps all up.. I found out that means this:

The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard (A20 gate) isn't working. First try another keyboard. If it doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. Replace the motherboard if it is soldered in

So tried a new keyboard and nope doesnt work :(

And I cant seem to find HOW to reseat the chip the controls the keyboard no one seems to tell you that on the net... (and wouldnt even know what it looks like or anything) so at a lost here. Using the kids old computer (which is slow as lol) or have to use hubby laptop which he uses for study so I want my PC back lol

What is the sequence of the beeps, i.e. long-short-short-long?

Try unplugging the keyboard and booting up without it. If you're still getting a beep then it's probably something else. There is no chip really that controls the keyboard. If there is it's a physical part of the motherboard and there won't be any re-seating it.

Can you also send a link to that support article you referenced?

After some more reasearch on the net it look like the mother board died anyway.. being a dell once this issue happens pretty much said "reaplce mother board or the whole PC" even some site said the battery warning could actually be a mother board waring as well... so looks like the old thing has died finally.

Lucky it tax time in Aussie land next week and fingers crossed we get a tax refund that going to pay for a new machine :) (just have to wait around a month thou)

At least I can use hubby lappy in the mean time :)

That's a fairly steep price for that hardware. If you're looking to go prebuilt I suggest you look elsewhere. Seems most of those systems are overpriced. I'm from a CAD currency perspective as the exchange rate is close to the same.

Yeah def build your own especially with $1.6k that's a very good budget that can make a i7 crossfire build if wanted..!

Australia stuff is expensive, cost more to ship stuff here and our labour is expensive (one of the most expensive in the world) and we have less people to less demand, so why it probably seems high.. just the way it is over here unfortuntley :(

I have a look around but there wont be much difference just to due to high cost in labour and parts in the country...

What OS were you running on your old PC? xp? If it's broken, you may as well use that one. Just call microsoft and say your pc died and you need a new key. So long as you got the retail version they'll give you a new one.

I had XP and I have the CD but it was for a Dell only so dont think I can use it seeming it for the dell only...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom