CMOS Battery for Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiegirl

Baseband Member
I hope I'm in the right section (sorry if not)

My Dell (XPS Gen 4) battery has decided to start dying on me. This morning got the warning message it was low. After some research seems to be a common thing on these machine for the battery not have a long life span (5 years max).

I really should get a new PC but funds don't allow it and beside the day I do get a new one, I want this PC to go the kids so they have something to use.

Anyway rambling on lol I need to know beside taking the battery out and seeing what type it is, is there any other way I can find out what it is beside taking it out. The Dell website is pretty useless to be honest, providing any information on parts. (or I blind and didn't see it lol)

Also I read, I need to write down my CMOS settings, so need to know how to do this. Some suggested programs that can do this but need a working Floppy drive and mine doesn't work (another thing that died on it lol) some said can use USB stick but motherboard has to be new enough to accept that I don't think mine would be.

So how do I access the CMOS setting and write down all the settings. And basically a guide or website how to take out the CMOS battery and place a new one in would be wonderful (something step by step with picture maybe so I don't stuff it up lol)

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers :D

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

The CMOS settings are your BIOS settings (accessed by pressing a key during bootup, usually also called "Setup"). If you have not changed anything in them, then you shouldn't have to write anything down as theya re most likely at default settings anyway, and will be reset to default when you remove the CMOS battery.

IF this is a desktop, then just power down your computer, remove the power cable from the computer, open the side panel, and you'll see a silver coin battery on the motherboard. Just pop this out, and take note of the number on the battery (most likely CR2032). Buy a new battery with that model, and pop the new one in. Start the computer back up and you're good to go.

Carnage nailed it to a "T". Unless you are overclocking the XPS you should be fine without worrying about the settings.

Oh, and good to see you back on the forums. Nice to know you haven't forgotten us. ;)

Thank you carnage :)

yeah it a desktop I have not change anything in the CMOS setting so should be fine then (one less thing to worry about lol) you been a great help...

Thanks Trotter forums like this are great for noobs like me lol :D

I always just take the old battery with me to Radio Shack or somewhere similar. Writing the number down helps, but I find that it's good to also have the physical battery there in case I need to compare sizes or anything like that.

The only thing you might need to reset is your clock. This will be the only thing set to default that will affect your usage (again, assuming you haven't overclocked or changed any other settings.)

I always just take the old battery with me to Radio Shack or somewhere similar. Writing the number down helps, but I find that it's good to also have the physical battery there in case I need to compare sizes or anything like that.

That helps as well (especially if a salesmaker ends up helping you). I can't name the amount of times somebody comes in asking for a battery, and has the wrong numbers written down, and have NO idea wtf they want. So I end up having to tell them to just bring the battery down.

OK I take the battery with me then :) (make it easier for everyone lol)

I probably do it tomorrow, got to move the graphic card out of the way to get to it but should be easy... it should just pop out I hope lol (battery that is lol)

Yeah, you just have to pop it out. Just make sure you ahve the computer off/unplugged, and there should be a little metal clip holding the battery in that you'll have to push back. You'll see its easy once you actually get a look at it :).

Ok having an issue (as usual computers are never that easy lol) got the battery all is ok but when I turn her on she just beeps at me.. wont boot or anything just does these 3-4 beeps.. so no idea what goes on there..

I took the battery to the shops and they match it so I know it right and I clip it back in fine.. but yeah now it wont boot and keeps doing this beep noise so need help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom