Choosing PCIE cables for PowerColor Radeon HD6870

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATIRAGEPRO

Daemon Poster
Forgive me if this thread is incredibly stupid, but I've been having trouble with this for sort of a while and I'm about to fall asleep. I don't even know if I'll Finnish this thread before I pass out. -_-"

I have a Gateway DX4300-11 PC and I've been trying to get a PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 working with it. The issue I'm having is regarding the PCIE power connector. More specifically; there is only one power connector coming from my PSU, and my video card requires two. :(

DSC06786.jpg

I have PoWork 650W ATX PSU with only one PCIE power connector. I've been trying to find a splitter or something that can turn a PCIE connector into two of them, but I keep buying the wrong thing. This has been going on for a month now.

[/facepalm]

Again, I'm sorry if this is stupid. Maybe I'm just losing my mind, but I could really use someone's help finding an adapter that will allow me to plug enough power into this thing to get it working. I can't seem to get the right thing for it. The system doesn't recognize it, and I'm assuming that is because of the power issue.

Please help. :(

Your power supply could very well be an issue. It is a cheap, low quality one. Not only that, but the design is not up to modern standards. Look at the amperage:
"+3.3V, 32 A
+5V, 36 A
+12V, 30 A
-12V, 1.0 A
+5Vsb, 2.0A"

Here is a modern, quality power supply for comparison: Corsair TX650 V2
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@53A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

Notice a difference? Modern PSUs put the majority of the amperage on the 12 volt rail. This is used by your video card. Older power supplies used to have amperage split between 3.3,5, and 12 volt rails. With less emphasis placed on the 12 volt rail.

Even if the adaptor works, I recommend a new power supply. The one posted above would work well and be reliable.

Edit: Heres a review of your power supply
The Bargain Basement Power Supply Roundup Review

facepalm.jpg

Wow, thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to get a new one eventually. O_O I've been using the PSU that came with the system when I got it, which I'm pretty sure isn't the one it came with.

@Fat.Clown Thanks for that. I hope that works. Some reason whenever I look for this stuff, I end up getting the wrong thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom