Choosing external HDD for long time storage

Hi again,
sorry for not replying over the weekend and thank you for all your replies.
Anyways, I do not rely on the HDD to survive for decades. I got all my photos on DVDs, but it happened numerous times the disc got unreadable and I would also like to have it all together. I plan to have all upcoming photos on DVDs and also on the external HDD.
You think it's for the best leave the HDD unplugged and plug it only when I need it?
Would you guys be so kind and try to choose the best external HDD (1TB) from this site? Pevné disky - externí | MALL.CZ
Sorry it's in Czech, but I got some vouchers for this one.

Thank you very much.

Honestly, It's a crap shoot. I've had a western digital 1tb that failed on me within a year. On the entire flip side... I got a 6-7 year old Maxtor 80gb... that's been through HELL and back. I thought I even broke it a couple times when it just dies, but nope, bad connection.... fires right back up.

Also, Flash memory has gotten cheap enough to just put it on there... if they're smaller files.

ADDITION: Maybe I could explain my purpose. The only purpose is I do not plan to print those family photos (only couple) and I would like to keep them...well my whole life. I cannot think of anything else than this (not sure about clouds?). Since I would have it physically with me it cannot get hacked or deleted. I of course count with changing the HDD after some time and having DVD backup.
So maybe if you guys can think of anything better serving this purpose I am opened to your ideas. Or how do you store your camera captured memories?
In any case I would appreciate your recommendation for that HDD from the site.

Back
Top Bottom