Choosing external HDD for long time storage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Choosing external HDD for long time storage

Dear all,
I would really like to know what external HDD would you recommend for long erm storage? Especially of photographs backup. 1 TB would be nice, I have USB 3.0. Price doesn't matter that much.

Thank you very much in advance for you suggestions.
Best Regards,
DZimmy

DZimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Choosing external HDD for long time storage

An Enterprise drive is probably your best option. In this report from Backblaze, the best hard drives for longevity and reliability turn out to be Hitachi followed by Western Digital.

Seagate has a 14% failure rate with it's 1.5 and 3 tb drives compared to Hitachi being around 1% and the WD's just over 2%

Quote:
At the end of 2013, we had 27,134 consumer-grade drives spinning in Backblaze Storage Pods. The breakdown by brand looks like this:
http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21...-should-i-buy/

Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

If it's left unplugged in theory any drive should last a long time.

I found that article interesting. They talked about the LP 2TB drives but I've had 2 of those in service for years in a terrible environment. They also admitted the drives they will be buying is the 4TB Seagate yet their charts show they shouldn't? Kind of mixed signals, considering by their data they should be going with HGST. Their highest failure rate Seagate also happens to be the bad model batch everybody had problems with including myself. I also don't find this article very relevant to the OP considering the environment and usage is really different. Those pods are cool as hell though.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thank you for your reply, good sir.
I was about to choose WD (Western Digital My Passport Essential SE / Western Digital Elements Portable SE). Unfortunately they do not have any Hitachi HDDs in the store I'll have to buy it from.
DZimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
If it's left unplugged in theory any drive should last a long time.

I found that article interesting. They talked about the LP 2TB drives but I've had 2 of those in service for years in a terrible environment. They also admitted the drives they will be buying is the 4TB Seagate yet their charts show they shouldn't? Kind of mixed signals, considering by their data they should be going with HGST. Their highest failure rate Seagate also happens to be the bad model batch everybody had problems with including myself. I also don't find this article very relevant to the OP considering the environment and usage is really different. Those pods are cool as hell though.
This only a report from one company that uses a lot of drives, it's not an official review of hard drives. I find this report to be accurate myself because my biggest issue with Seagate drives is the vibration. I've RMA'd several drives because of this but the drives they RMA are no better than the drives I sent them. Used "refurbished" drives that have a nasty vibration to them. Personally....I've had it with Seagate and I'll never buy another one ever
Old 05-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Are you talking about long-term archival storage as in decades? I don't think any hard drive is good for that type of storage. Optical media such as DVD is more appropriate for that type of storage.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Are you talking about long-term archival storage as in decades? I don't think any hard drive is good for that type of storage. Optical media such as DVD is more appropriate for that type of storage.
Dj vu...........
Question regarding the transferring of VHS tapes to digital files for storage?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I was thinking about the same topic while reading this thread lol.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
This only a report from one company that uses a lot of drives, it's not an official review of hard drives. I find this report to be accurate myself because my biggest issue with Seagate drives is the vibration. I've RMA'd several drives because of this but the drives they RMA are no better than the drives I sent them. Used "refurbished" drives that have a nasty vibration to them. Personally....I've had it with Seagate and I'll never buy another one ever
I have 3 Seagate drives in my case right now and have no vibration. The noisiest drive I've had from them on an audible front would be the 1.5TB clunker junk. Least I didn't have to pay for it.

Everybody has their issues with certain brands. WD make good drives too but every single WD drive I've owned minus 1 has died. I've had maybe 20 or more WD drives before. Before the big WD vs Seagate thing I used to use Maxtor that people used to say they avoided like the Deathstar drives. I only had one Maxtor drive die on me but the old IDE ones still work today.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yup...I still see some of those old IDE Maxtors and WD's around too.