Chip sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't actually used both, but I can vouche for NF3 as being an overall good chipset. I had a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra NF3 mobo (skt939) and it was a pretty good mobo.

The only problem that I found with it (and any other NF3 motherboard) is the incompatibility it has with Nvidia 6xxx series vid cards. When combined, gameplay is somewhat handicapped by what seems like intermittent low FPS. Every once and a while, there will be a short pause in gameplay which would seem like your computer trying to catch up and load the next set of textures that it needs. In reality there is a mismatch between the vid card and the chipset. However, this is remedied by going with a different series vid card, using an ATi vid card, or using the VIA chipset.

ARG! I was planning on a 6800 gs. Oh well. I am very unfamiliar w/ the ati line of video cards. I know nvidia's goes like 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx and so on. How does ati's go? And which ati is compared to the 6800 gt/gs? Thanks

As far as generations of vid cards, the nvidia 6xxx series competed with the Xxxx (so the X800, X600, etc). The newer gen cards are the 7xxx from Nvidia, and the X1xxx from ATi. From looking at benchmarks and pricing, the most comparable AGP ATi card is the X1600Pro for $119 on newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom