Cheapie Linux Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vybuni

Daemon Poster
I just installed ubuntu on my 2nd hard drive in my gaming rig, and I have the urge to mess around with linux and learn more about it.

So I don't F up my main machine, I am thinking into getting a dedicated linux box so I'm free to do whatever I want.

I was wondering if I should get a POS old PIII-type computer and use that (I can get some PII/PIII really cheap), but I don't know if that will really cut it. Or should I go out (to Newegg) and buy some cheap sempron or something and head that route, i.e. - spend $$ for a cheap PC with new-age parts.

I don't really want to spend too much money on this if i do go the new route. I'm sure I can find some parts for like $500. I really need to know if a PII/PIII would cut it with most distros.

A PIII should run it fine, and maybe a PII with a less demanding distro. I would at least try to have 256 MB of RAM or more, though. I can't stand it when I am using a computer that has less.

A P3 with 256mb would run any linux distro fine, Don't plan on using any of the ISA slots because linux and alot of isa controllers don't play nice togeather, (alot like my two kids, lol) But how about this POS Emachines for 300!!

I cannot stress this enough:
When building a Linux computer, check, double check, and triple check hardware compatibility! Buy the most compatible parts in your price range that you possibly can!
Anyways, a machine with a Sempron, 512MB of RAM, and a crappy video card will work. Just make sure you get a crappy video card that doesn't have any issues (like, don't go with ATI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom