Cheapest Phenom X3 build? and monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever heard of Windows Server 2008 ;)

Aren't there other OS' that MS also gives out as abandon-ware or am I just thinking of something else

As far ask I know, no.

And yes, OP can get Server 2k8, but OP must be a student that DreamSpark accepts and be comfortable modding 2k8 from guides to act as a workstation instead of a server.

Not likely ;). Then nobody would buy Win7 (which I intend to do), they'd just use XP for free and M$ would go nowhere with OS progression.

First, why suggest the more expensive board with the same CPU when the Biostar is more than enough of a board?
The difference is $5. But I would opt for the Foxconn in this case, because it's power regulation looks stronger.

And I would definitely opt for the PCP&C power supply instead of the Rosewill power supply (it's far better quality for not much price difference).

Second, that build is great, if he didn't need an OS, like Chase said...that was the problem with the budget in the first place.
Yeah, but I'd say the budget is really pushing it if he wants an X3 720 to go with it.

He could go with the 512MB 4830 which you posted, or go with the 4870 1GB which I posted. The overall price difference isn't really much considering what you get for it (the 4870 1GB is at least 50% faster)

Well yeah, it would be great if he could get the 4870...but it still doesn't work with the budget, since he needs an OS and doesn't want to go with the free solutions...

The Biostar is just fine. Besides, it has onboard graphics in case something happens to his card, and it is a crazy overclocking board.

By all means, if the PCP&C PSU is about the same cost, then pick it, I like them better than Rosewill.

Well yeah, it would be great if he could get the 4870...but it still doesn't work with the budget, since he needs an OS and doesn't want to go with the free solutions...
Even with the 4830, it isn't within the budget. Like I said, I think the budget is pushing it a bit too far, even if not by that much.
The Biostar is just fine.
well what's $5 even with a small budget like this? I'd still prefer to have stronger power regulation.
Though if he wanted onboard video, there are always the Jetway HA06 and HA07 boards (basically the same, but one has the 780G GPU, one has the 790GX GPU and a better colour scheme)

With the 4830, it's barely outside of the budget. Literally 7 or 8 bucks over after the MIRs...I figured it wouldn't matter. The budget is outrageously low, yes, but I'm not going to ignore it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom