cheaper quad cores? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mitsu3kGTVR4
Default cheaper quad cores?

I'm looking to buy a new processor soon and most likely my choice will be a core 2 duo 6600, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Intel was planning on releasing cheaper quad core chips? Right now there seems to be only the Quad Q6600 for about $850... I know quad cores aren't really being utilized right now, but it would be cool to have one, just not for $850... So anyone know if Intel will be coming out with cheaper ones and approximately when?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to M733mhz

I think you'll be looking at a while before quad cores even become more wide spread, let alone cheaper.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Dual core is hardly utilized by the whole system these days as is and you already want quad core eh?
"Truth is violated by falsehood but outraged by silence."

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 02-13-2007, 04:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

well it's not whether the system uses it but rather whether he uses it.

i'm not aware of any other quad cores to come but my educated guess is that they may only look into a qx6800 model in the near future to outstrip the current qx6700. perhaps later they may release a q6400 and even eventually have a complete quad core range to match the dual cores. however i doubt we'll see any new models for a while.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you don’t think the guitar is cool, then you’re stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to Mitsu3kGTVR4

ahh ok, thanks for the replies. i'll probably order my stuff today and maybe by the time they come out with a line of cheaper quad cores i'll be ready to upgrade or make a new pc again.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheOtis

Yea, most likely by the time you're ready to upgrade next, your products life cycles will be over, and by then, theirs a lot better chance for their to be cheaper quad cores.

Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis
Closed Thread