Cheap video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
Ok heres the deal. I have a crappy old Dell Dimension 4300. Its got 512mb of RAM and a GeForce Ti4200 (64mb) video card in it. It is a 2x/4x AGP GPU interface. I just got Oblivion and I can run it with the Oldblivion mod, but it runs very choppy.

So I am looking for a cheap video card (preferably around $75 or lower) to upgrade with just for a few months. I am HOPEFULLY going to be able to earn enough this year from summer/ part time jobs to but a new computer. So this is just a temp solution that I have been thinking about for a while.

So what I need is:
1. Best deal for a 4x AGP card around $75
2. (This would be nice) How much do you think it will improve my performance?
3. Please nobody say "Just save and get a new computer. Thats not why I am here. Thanks."

Ummm....thanks for taking time to help me. I appreciate it.

ok, do you mean AGB 2x/4x or AGP 4x/8x. look inside your comp, what color is the video card connector.

-Phate

if you mean 2x/4x, this is really the only worthwhile card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102623

it still will be choppy with oblivion, and laggy, but there really isnt ANYTHING better.

if you want to run smoothly, youre going to
A.) need to change out your motherboard so you have an AGP 4x/8x or PCI-e slot
B.) spend more money

this will get you playing oblivion with no problem, if you buy the right card.

I dont want to pay that much for a card. This is just a temporary, few month thing.

It IS 2x/4x, I have checked before. I was told that 4x/8x cards would still work, but only with 4 pipelines. It is ok if it is still a a bit laggy. I am used to it, believe me.

I dont want to have to go through the trouble of buying a new mobo because I dont want to fool with the CPU in this Dell. Im not getting a new motherboard.

I would just get a really good AGP card and use it for my next computer, but I am making a PCIe build of course, and again, dont want to buy an AGP mobo then switch it later because I dont want to have to deal with that. Ive never built a comp before and I want everything to go smoothly.

But anyways, yeah. I just need a cheap temporary fix around $75.

I know it will improve my performance at least a little bit.

my card:
Geforce 4 Ti4200
64mb
250 clock freq.
513 memory clock freq.

Please please help me out

ok, i dont know TOO much about video cards, but assumming the stat PixelPipelines means how many pipelines it has (4x) this should work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102410

ATI Radeon 9600PRO, 256 mb of ram, so you should get a lot less lag

only $60!

-Phate

P.S. confirm this from one of the more techno savvy people before purchasing, as im not sure that PixelPipelines means pipelines, it could be some other thing. but if it IS, thats a good card.

also the 9600XT could be good, if you dont want the 9600PRO.

-Phate

P.S. hope this spam helps lol

Thanks Phate. Those are actually some of the ones I was looking at.

This card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814102669 concerns me because of all the reviews saying it has major heating problems, so its not on my list of possibilities. The other two are.

And I talked to a guy who has built a lot of computers for his kids to game on, and he said that 4x/8x will work with 2x/4x, just at a 4x pipeline

keep the suggestions flowin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom