Cheap AMD build needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
I usually go with intel but the price per performance I would say goes to AMD and I have a challenge to build as cheaply as possible, This is for a family member that is a little down and out on their luck and has very limited funds and a dead HP sitting there that couldn't play the games they wanted very well any way with onboard graphics and no PCI-E slot either. Unfortunately I don't know squat about AMD and what cpu is good or not but want to learn a little because a lot of people are looking for cheaper systems now and the higher end systems are few and far between for building.
Any who what would be good for games like the COD series but no real graphic intensive stuff. What can you come up with for the cheapest possible at maybe $300 and if there is a little higher budget I'll up whatever GPU is picked.

Thanks in advance
Dauntae

If you want to keep the build close to $300 you'll need to recycle some parts from the previous computer... at least the hard drive and optical drives.. and if you can get a case and even a PSU that would be cool.. but since its HP, i doubt the PSU is usable...

So, could you tell us what parts your family member is able to reuse? And what went wrong with the other computer?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Antec Two Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
&
Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
$75 w/free shipping on both

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX240OCGQBOX - Retail
&
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$120 w/free shipping on both

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-5300PHU2-2GBNT - Desktop Memory
$40

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100295HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
$67 w/$10 MIR card

Total is $302 and reuses the optical drive, hard drive, and OS.

You could reuse the HP case and save some there. If the RAM is DDR2, you could reuse it (if it has enough to be practical as 2GB is as low as I would go).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom