Changing HDD to solve my problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuppiHarri

Solid State Member
Hi,

I am running Windows XP and my problem is that it is extremely slow. Specially Start up of the computer takes ages. From when I turn the power on I have to wait over 5 minutes to have the computer up and running.

I recently (~6 months ago = recently for me. :p) upgraded my computer and thought that my problems would be solved.

My system:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4600+
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600GS
Memory: 2 X 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz ( PC2-5300 )

I have tried to remove spywares, defragmenting my HDDs, run cacheman, magic tweak, removed start-up programs , emptied the prefetch folder etc. Nothing seems to help.

What I am wondering is could it be my HDD. My C: drive is an old (I think about 2-3 years old)Samsung SpinpointDrive. I was thinking of changing it to a Western Digital Raptor. Could that make any difference?

Thanks for any advice. ;)

!!!WELCOME TO TECH FORUMS!!!

firstly it would be a great idea to get that HD, they're very fast and reliabe, most poeple have them in a RAID setup,

getting to point: start>run>type msconfig in the dialog box>startup tab> disable all>restart your system

that should make a difference, it seems like you have run all the programs i would hyave recomened, formatting your HD is one idea, are you sure you dont have any viruses lurking around, your system is pretty good, im surprised its running slow,

hope that helps

^^^phucng you posted as i was writing

Don't ignore your ide cable, assuming that your hd is ide. I had this problem one time and it was the darn cable.

I would say, SATA is much better for the Wire Management. :D

Back on topic : The IDE cable can be a cause of the problem at times but usually might be something wrong with your HDD. Changing your HDD will only be for the speed, but it's usually due to having too many programs or some start up programs that takes up a lot of memory usage. My XP only loads to about 3-1/2 bars and it comes into Windows.

IDE cables can be unreliable, my DVD drive wouldnt be recognised from time to time, replaced the cabela and whola works fine, i doubt a faulty IDE cable would make you system slow

IDE cables can be unreliable, my DVD drive wouldnt be recognised from time to time, replaced the cabela and whola works fine, i doubt a faulty IDE cable would make you system slow

Could be a start-up program. When I had that stupid AlienGuise program, or whatever it's called, my Splash Screen took about 5-6 bars to load. My sister's laptop takes about 10 bars to load. :snob:

Thanks all! :D

About the Power Supply: It is an Antec TruePower Trio 430.

I think I should go for that HDD. Also, my second drive is SATA already and the C is IDE. Does not make any sense, I know.

Ind thanks for the welcome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom