Changing graphic card on an "Acer Predator G3600"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

konismod

Beta member
I bought the Acer Predator G3600 some time back, and I sort of regret it.

The whole thing is OEM, so I was just curious if I could change the graphic card for a
Radeon HD 6850.

Im mainly asking this because a while back I read somewhere that I'm not allowed to change the graphic card due to power supply problems.

Thanks in advance.

From what Google is telling me, it appears to have a relatively weak 500w PSU. If you could upgrade that to at least a 600w then you would do ok with a 6850 because you can't OC your CPU. Then again, minimum wattage requirements is 500w on a 6850.

Honestly you might be able to, really does depend on the power supply though.

It should have shipped with a 500W PSU, which is enough to run an HD 6850.
However, it also needs a 6-pin PCIe connector (though some require 2), which the PSU may or may not have.

I would say it'd be smart to get a Corsair CX500 V2.
500W, has 2 6+2-pin PCIe connectors, and is fairly inexpensive ($50 till 4/16, and a $20 rebate).

No, you can change cards. But if you go above a certain performance level, you will need to swap out the power supply too.

Not sure if your model has a 500W psu, like the ones I've seen on the acer site, but a 500W psu can power most medium to low/High cards. A nvidia 550ti will easily run, 560 is a possible. Or most AMD video cards will work too.

find out your psu Wattage, and Amps on the 12V rails, all listed on its sticker, and we can go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom