The change from Intel to AMD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default The change from Intel to AMD

Hello all!! I want to make the jump from Intel to AMD because i finally got enough money for the higher end processors. Basically the only thing i am going to use this computer for is for gaming so i was wondering if someone could give me some good products for an amd setup. Since this is going to be a strictly gaming rig, which should i go with, single core or dual core?

Currently, I am looking at the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - shown here:

Or should i go with one of the single cores shown here:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor or the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ ClawHammer 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor. ( I dont know if these are any different except for the manufacturer)

So if u guys could plz help me out in making my switch i would appreciate it. So to sum it all up I just need help picking out: 1)processor (AMD single or dual core) and 2) An AMD mobo. If u guys have anyother ideas for processors feel free to comment but I dont feel real confident on the whole overclocking thing so try to stay away from that. Any help would be appriciated ty.

Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

As of now - gaming - use single core / video-photo editing - dual core

Most games won't take advantage of the extra core but in the future they will.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

First off, I would recommend getting a dual core. Some games now are taking advantage of it. For the most part, games that don't make use of dual cores, don't seem to be negatively affected by them (except B&W2, which apparantly doesnt work at all with DCs).

Do you have any hardware now? Video cards, hard drives, etc?

Before you pick a mobo, we'll/you'll need to know if you have a vid card already that you are gonna use and what kinda slot it uses.

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 02-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i have 2 Nvidia 7800gt graphics card (256mb) pci-e x16, 2 optical drives, and 1 SATA HDD. My RAM will not fit with the new mobo so i need that too.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I would recommend an X2 4400+ if possible, because of the 2x1MB L2 cache.
but if not, then an Opteron 165 (has 2 x 1MB L2 cache)
Old 02-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

i say single core, save your money, once am2 comes out, new line of amazing processors will come, than make your purchase, for now, the only processor i really recommend to anyone (thas not rich) is amd athlon 3000+ or 3200+, processors do not matter much in gaming.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

The processor should be the last component you pick. Sadly, as important as it is, the price just FLYS to the sky when you start inching up the price. I always buy the cheapest of the best socket I can afford. I vote for the Athlon 64 3200+.

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource:
Old 02-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yea for the short term definitely go with a single core. if you are thinking to the future tho go with the dual core. only the really high end games out today will take advantage of a dual core. if you are going to be playing online with dialup tho u should invest in one with hyperthreading since you will probably have to run 2 apps at the same time to play. but with a highspeed connection a single core processor will be fine for online gaming.
light a candle for the sinners, set the world on fire.....
Old 02-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i say the 4200+ is a good choice. equivelant to 2x3500+'s i think. the 4400+ is equivelant to 2x3700+'s. so if you want to get an idea of how a dual core will perform (running off a single core) compared to a single core on a game look up what the clock speed of the dual core corresponds to as a single core (manchester=venice, toledo=san diego) e.g. 2.0ghz manchester each core=2.0ghz venice. a 2.0ghz venice is a 3200+ therefore if the game is not optimised for dual core you will get similar performance to a 3200+ but it will probably run smoother because the second core will help stop background tasks from interfering
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Get the Dual Core. Like said above, the X2 4400+ is the sweet spot for the dual core AMD processors. For those that keep recommending the single core chips; hey the time has come to let it go. Dual Core CPUs are here now, and if you haven't noticed; both Intel and AMD are completely moving away from the single cores.

3 different OS, so yep I\'m confused.
Closed Thread