celeron question

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
i know celerons are basic, low-cache processors, but is there a large difference between the basic, cheapest celeron (2.4 Ghz) and the most expensive celeron (3.33 Ghz) as far as speed goes? I was thinking of getting an all-new processor, without having to upgrade my whole computer, and dont have the money for anything major, such as pentium D or pentium 4...

that does look like a good deal, but wouldnt a celeron D 3.33 ghz be alot faster? Its 933 Mhz more than the pentium 4...

ok, cache makes a big difference eh?

so basically a celeron 3.33 ghz is slower than a pentium 4? seems weird to me..

In sheer speed, no. But the cache allows the P4 to take a bigger lead in the instructions it has ready to execute... it doesn't have to wait to be told what to do.

A P4 would outperform a higher clocked Celeron on stuff that requires heavy CPU tasks.

the biggest problem i notice with low cache cpu's is their tendency to completely lag and even lock up after coming out of something demanding like a game.

edit: my guess is that that is due to the cache being maxed out with data relevant to the program/game and it takes a huge hit on performance while it tries to recache what you change to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom